Reading hours from 225 SHO to Humminbird ? Or other options?

Just put a 225 SHO on the boat. My console graph is a Humminbird 1198c. The cable from the motor to the graph gets me engine temp and tach but not the hours. What are my best options to get the hours displayed on the Humminbird or using some other method? I have a flasher in the dash of the boat that is of no use (cut it off 10 years ago) so the space is there for some other kind of device, maybe Lowrance LMF-400 (seems to be discontinued?) or something else, dunno. I’d like to spend the least amount of money possible since all I really want to know is what the hours are.

2. Member
    If you just want hours, for the least $$, you could just buy a simple hour meter ($20 maybe?) and connect to the yellow wire under dash that powers the other gauges when key is on (engine running). Either mount the gauge or wire-tie it under dash somewhere.

3. Member
    Your current setup may work. If you are getting RPM and Temp on your Hummingbird, then I guess you have a NMEA 2000 connection? You should be able to see a lot more data from the engine ECU on your HB including hours.

Suggest you post this over on the Hummingbird form. Maybe you just need to configure your HB?

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader186S View Post
    Your current setup may work. If you are getting RPM and Temp on your Hummingbird, then I guess you have a NMEA 2000 connection? You should be able to see a lot more data from the engine ECU on your HB including hours.

Suggest you post this over on the Hummingbird form. Maybe you just need to configure your HB?
    My suggestion as well ... sounds like a setup issue on the HB
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 11-24-2019 at 09:47 AM.

5. Member
    I never could get my HB to show anything but rpm & water temp. Tried everything had to add a lowrance it HAS TO BE a 7 are bigger gen 3. now I get everything but still use my HB to find fish
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

6. Member
    I get engine hours on my helix and 859 on my yammy. when you are setting up your gauges in advanced configuration click the check mark and will give you more options. I am offshore for the next couple weeks so cant make a video right now but if you don't get it let me know and I will hook you up when I get home
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI

7. Member
    Hm i have a helix on the bow. Maybe can run a wire up to it and see if that would work. I think it’s not going to happen with the 1198

8. Member
    [QUOTE=swmbait;10671672]Hm i have a helix on the bow. Maybe can run a wire up to it and see if that would work. I think it’s not going to happen with the 1198[/QUOTE

Trying to remember the sequence i used, I found the info online after a lot of digging. Go to the gauge view screen, menu, then make sure in advanced mode, then select gauges, then when it pops up, select a gauge, hit the check button or go to and should give you a list of about 8 things to choose from, one of them being engine hours
    2014 Xpress X-19 Pro Yammy VMAX 175 HDPI