2005 Ranger 521VX

This has been discussed a few times but I can't find a prevailing theme.

I just picked up a 2005 521 VX with Yamaha VMax 250 four stoke. It has two 8 foot power pole II units using the sandwich bracket. Standard four AGM batteries etc in the back in terms of weight.

I'm wanting to put a jack plate on the unit and pick up a second prop. I've got an Atlas on my other boat and have liked it.

The boat is in very good condition, but I'm wary of the engine weight in making my selection. I'm not a speed freak or I would've chosen a different rig. My main focus is being able to lift engine when needed, moving the poles to the jack plate, and mounting my rear transducer on a hole shot plate if possible. If I get a little better performance in doing this while gaining a spare prop, that's a bonus.

Is a 6 inch the safest bet? I've heard that's all Ranger recommended but have seen people go larger. Again I'm focused on reliability more than anything.

Thanks!
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Here’s my 2 cents, bearing in mind that I have not owned/driven the rig you have: the question comes down to two factors, expenditure and weight/balance. Hydraulic plates will give you the option of moving up or down vertically, on the fly, while fixed plates have to be adjusted at home, or at least in the parking lot. Performance-wise, particularly with a heavy and heavily loaded boat, you can set up a fixed plate for max speed and simply leave it there. But you might tweak the top end just a touch with a hydraulic plate, and also might improve your hole shot as well. Weight-wise, hydraulic plates weigh around 30 pounds more, and the farther back you push that weight [bigger plates], the more it affects other factors, such as where the stern sits at rest, possibly taking on water when deplaning, and possible porpoising at slow speeds.

More complications than you wanted to hear about, right? The good news is, a “compromise” 6-inch fixed plate will likely do 90% of what you want or hope to do at minimal expense and complication. So yes, I’d say that’s the safest bet. Shallow water operation is, for me, the most significant advantage of hydraulic plates, especially if you don’t customarily run in really big water like the Great Lakes. But even extremely shallow, a high percentage of bassers do just fine without hydraulic plates. Good luck with your choice.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    Thank you.... definitely going hydraulic. Mostly concerned with not overstressing the transom.
    Geoff Soard

Buddy has the same setup with a 25 tempest and he’s afraid to add a plate cause it does everything very well without it
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

5. Member
    Yeah I can relate. My move isn't really about speed so much as gaining a little flexibility on some things. Just don't want to sacrifice in the process.
    Geoff Soard

6. Member
    I have a 2004 521VX with a 225 Merc Optimax that I bought 6 years ago. I added a pair of 10ft Talons and later an Ultrex. The engine is bolted to the transom with the Talons on sandwich brackets, no jackplate. I use this boat to prefish out of to keep hours down on my team boats and to knock around in. This was a one owner boat bought from a guy in northern Illinois that took good care of it. Original carpet and upholstery. I have been running a 25P 3 blade Fury on it. This boat will run 70mph if I push it. Cool weather or hot. Good ol boat. Constantly have people wanting to buy it. It has a great hole shot. No doubt ,it's an exceptionally strong engine. I've never felt like a jackplate would enhance the performance, but that's not what this boat is about. A plate isn't a necessity

7. Member
    Yep, I don't really have performance complaints. My story is similar....great old boat.
    Geoff Soard

8. Member
    I have an 04 521 DVX with a Yamaha SHO 4 Stroke, 6" Atlas JP, two 10 ft Talons, Ultrex, 3 HB Helix's and I run a variety of props depending on conditions since I fish everything from Lake Erie to shallow southern lakes. I'm completely happy with the 6" plate, I've had it on for 3 years, although I just added the Talons this year. A very reliable setup that runs in the low 70's with a 4 blade 24p Bravo 1...I haven't ran this motor with my Tempest 25, but will soon.

9. Member
    Awesome that's the direction I'm leaning. Thanks!
    Geoff Soard

I have a 2003 521. The boat had a 6” Hyd Atlas on it. The performance wasn’t where I thought it should be. Handling was terrible and wouldn’t lift the bow or stern. A very wise guy on here gave me his thoughts on getting the boat set up. I think he has a 2004 521. I swapped out the 27p tempest for a 26 Bravo 1 xs and added a 4” spacer to the Jackplate. Man what a difference. Handling and acceleration greatly improved. Boat now runs 75mph with just me loaded and 20gals of fuel. Rough water handling really improved. Spent a few bucks on it but was worth every penny. I’m running a 2003 Merc 250 XS.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

11. Member
    Awesome thanks!
    Geoff Soard

12. Member
    Lots of guys are running 10” plates on the 521VX with good results. I do not think there are any concerns with the transoms in these boats.

13. Member
    I am running a 521vx as well. When I added a plate to my boat I called Ranger and spoke to someone in the engineering department. They recommended in a 8-inch plate. I have been extremely happy with it. Went with the atlas.
    Justin B.

14. Member
    2004 521VX 250 HPDI 8 inch atlas 25 p TI 25 FURY 4 70MPH tourn load great boat instant holeshotwith plate full up