Polaris vs yammie

I’m in the market for atv to ride on farm and trails. I’ve always had Japanese stuff- but Polaris much cheaper currently- dealer says Polaris fine- what’s the resident atv pros gotta say? Buying my kids yammie 110s dirt bikes and want to hang with them

2. Member
    I am the owner/operator of a motor sport repair shop. Polaris keeps my in business with new and old machines.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

3. Member
    I have a 2012 Polaris and a 2015 polaris...Both have been excellent machines with no issues...I have ridden them all over the country.....I don't see how you can go wrong with a Sportsman 570 for all around use and the price is tough to beat..
    I am also a fan of Yamaha and raced their motorcycles off and on for years...They are also good but a little behind in technology when it comes to quads...I really like the Wolverine S X S ...

I would go with the best price and what dealer you have confidence in...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

Yamaha, Honda or Kawasaki

5. Member
    From what I tested, the Yamaha Kodiak has the best overall handling and ride. And yes I hammered the hell out of that 700. Also tried the equivalent sportsman and it was good as well. Did seem to have more low end power out of the yamaha

6. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I have a 17 Sportsman 850 that I really love.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

7. Member
    Thanks guys - haven’t committed eithe way the sportsman 570 is gonna be close to 3 k cheaper than yammie 700 Kodiak and as little as I’ll use it may try a Polaris- I’m gonna ride both tomorrow

I've owned a Yamaha that was great, a Can-am that was great and three Polaris Sportsman that were great. I now have a Sportsman 1000xp. It has been flawless and bought it new three years ago. I like the big bore machines so Honda is out.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    I am the owner/operator of a motor sport repair shop. Polaris keeps my in business with new and old machines.
    Pretty much should let you know what you’re in for right here

10. Member
    I went with Polaris - as little as I’ll ride the price couldn’t be beat. If it sucks I’ll trade it in for an rising sun -

Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    I went with Polaris - as little as I’ll ride the price couldn’t be beat. If it sucks I’ll trade it in for an rising sun -
    Good choice IMO. The current yamaha 700cc engines are outdated and in need of replacement. I just sold a polaris ranger 500 with 11000 miles that shares a very similar drivetrain and suspension with the sportsmans.

The one piece of advice I will give is to get you a couple bearing greasers and grease the wheel bearings now and then again about every 1000 miles. Starting in 2019 polaris changed to a metal seal on their bearings going away from rubber but they still dont come new anywhere near full of grease.

12. Member
    Thanks-

13. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    You will like it. If you ride more I would suggest a set of tires to fit your conditions, and maybe a clutch kit. I did both. Clutch kit is amazing, and I went a size bigger on tires. Radials. Best ride I've ever had.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

14. Member
    Polaris are decent machines, but for the money I would buy a Yamaha.

15. Member
    Over the years I have have Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, and Polaris. The early Polaris quads were known to be inferior to all of the Japanese quads. Back in the 80's and 90's, ATV magazines would poke fun at Polaris. Polaris design, innovations, and reliability have come a long way since then. Polaris innovations such as CVT transmissions and independent rear suspension are now common on all of the Japanese quads. Honda quads have been the most reliable for me, although they have not kept up with the features of the other brands. Can Am also makes quality quads, although somewhat more expensive and a little more difficult to work on. IMO Polaris has the smoothest ride (due to the plastic a-arm bushings), but may not be quite as reliable as the Japanese quads.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

16. Member
    I've got a '12 sportsman 850 4 wheeler, it's taking a beating with plowing don't run the trails much but it gets used hard quite a bit, I like it... but I've had to do a number of repairs and it doesn't have the power it had years back, before that I had a Kawasaki 750 Brute, which I loved but sold it in a money pinch and regret it, having said that most everyone I know around here, has Polaris and never say anything negative about them.
    Cheese County Bass Club

17. Member
    Well the 570 rides really smooth, is very stable in turns and I like it to date. In 2018 I bought a ram 2500 as prior only Ford F-250- was 15 k cheaper - it’s been a good truck. Long of it is- I think Polaris is like a Ram— get a good one and u save thousands

I've owned a lot of ATV's. I currently own a 2016 Polaris Sportsman 1000xp. I bought it new in 2016 and I haven't had a single problem with it. The only problem I have is getting the smile off my face every time I ride it.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins