Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Vet service charges out of control?

First off, I love my pets just like all of you do. But, the charges and fees for basic Vet services have gone off the deep end!

Had to drop my lab off at the vet this morning for a FLU BOOSTER SHOT! When did flu shots to dogs become a thing?? And why a booster? Humans don't get boosters.

And the charge is $85.00! They said I can't just come in and get the shot...they have to perform an exam first. He was just in for a full check-up A MONTH AGO!! And they got $582.00 for that!!!

Now they called and said he's got a yeast infection in his ears.

1. No he doesn't. I check his ears a minimum of once a week.
    2. They want $36.00 for the drops I can get almost anywhere for $19.00!!

Seems like it's gotten REAL bad the last couple years. Time to find a new vet.

Anyone else seeing this kind of thing??

It's a law to have to get your dog a flu shot?

3. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    ha ha.....try vet bills for horses......
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by blade1970 View Post
    It's a law to have to get your dog a flu shot?
    NO, it is not!!
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

5. Member
    Yes,it’s expensive nowadays. But if that’s what it takes for them to stay in business,then so be it! People with a multitude of animals to care for try to take care of most things themselves and use a veterinarian as little as possible. I just have 2 Boxers and that’s about all I can afford. I am very blessed to have as good a pet doctor as it gets and actually cares about my pets. I just grit my teeth and bare it when checking out at the desk!

6. Member
    Well, our cat had three cavities. That was one hell of a bill.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    ha ha.....try vet bills for horses......
    Yeah, I would imagine it's quite a bit! But, at least they're working animals. I can sort of justify that in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Yes,it’s expensive nowadays. But if that’s what it takes for them to stay in business,then so be it! People with a multitude of animals to care for try to take care of most things themselves and use a veterinarian as little as possible. I just have 2 Boxers and that’s about all I can afford. I am very blessed to have as good a pet doctor as it gets and actually cares about my pets. I just grit my teeth and bare it when checking out at the desk!
    I hear what you're saying. But to me, it's the difference between a "city pet" clinic and a good old fashioned country vet. I'm not advocating to go back to "we only take our dog to the vet when he's sick" or anything like that, but damn! $85.00 for a flu BOOSTER shot?!?!?!

I called them a bit ago and told them I'll pick him up, pay the bill, and let them know where to transfer his records to.

9. Member
    We have a local guy that is really reasonable. Sometimes for simple stuff he doesn't even charge. He is a little on the weird side but is also a great doctor. An example, before we knew about him, we had the local Vet. We took our Lab there for treatment for dry skin on her legs. She was old, like 14. The vet looked at the spots and said she thought it might be cancerous, she wanted to do a biopsy. The Biopsy was like $450 bucks. I said NO WAY. I then told my mother about it and she recommended this other guy. We went there with the dog and I was impressed. He said give her fish oil every day, this will clear up the dry patches on her legs. Then he said, if it was cancer, would you want the dog to go through Chemo and other painful treatments? I said NO, he then said at her age it would be best to just let her live out her years and not disturb her. I agreed, the patches cleared up and she lived 3 more years. I had to have her put down, by the good Vet I might add. He came to the house and did it so she would not be stressed. I am tearing up typing this. Best damn dog ever. And vet.

10. Member
    Seems like every time I take a pet to the vet they need to do "blood work" for $300+. When I ask why they don't have a good answer.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

11. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Yes, pets are expensive. Sounds like you might be better off with an outdoor cat.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

12. Member
    Sounds like you need a new vet because you’re getting bent over without as much as a courtesy spit. I just brought our golden to the vet yesterday and it was $175 total for check up, 3 vaccinations, blood work, and ointment for an allergy rash. They’re located in Cooperstown NY so at first we thought they were going to charge rich people prices but they’re in it for the animals not the money
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin387 View Post
    We have a local guy that is really reasonable. Sometimes for simple stuff he doesn't even charge. He is a little on the weird side but is also a great doctor. An example, before we knew about him, we had the local Vet. We took our Lab there for treatment for dry skin on her legs. She was old, like 14. The vet looked at the spots and said she thought it might be cancerous, she wanted to do a biopsy. The Biopsy was like $450 bucks. I said NO WAY. I then told my mother about it and she recommended this other guy. We went there with the dog and I was impressed. He said give her fish oil every day, this will clear up the dry patches on her legs. Then he said, if it was cancer, would you want the dog to go through Chemo and other painful treatments? I said NO, he then said at her age it would be best to just let her live out her years and not disturb her. I agreed, the patches cleared up and she lived 3 more years. I had to have her put down, by the good Vet I might add. He came to the house and did it so she would not be stressed. I am tearing up typing this. Best damn dog ever. And vet.
    Sorry for the loss of your Lab. The type of vet you describe is precisely what I'm looking for.

We spent almost $4000 on a very sick dog this time last year. He was 13 and had stomach problems develop. It ended up being cancer and he died a few weeks later. Was it expensive? Yes Would I have spent every dime I had to get that dog well? Yes Some things in life I don't question. I just make payments and move on. I'd give anything to have that dog back.

15. Banned
    I don't even get a flu shot, let alone my dog!

16. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Those blood suckers know we love our pets. Shop around the price differences are really something between vets
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Your yearly exam is almost $600? My dog just had his last month. Exam and all shots were $120. Is that normal for your area?

18. Banned
    Same type racket as a 'people doctor' and the same companies that push medication for people do the same to vets. Same type dis-eases happen to pets as humans now. Diabetes; etc. Next time waiting for the vet, check some of the pamphlets and who makes the "cures"

We use a rural country vet to have anything done. Far cheaper.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Around here there is Fifi vets, that are in business to just treat dogs at high prices. Then you have your good o'l cattle vetrinarians that went to school just as long, that only do what you need done and will give you some shots and pills to take home without a lot of tests,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast