Shopping for a SxS

Looking to get a SxS and like the ones at Bass Pro. I've read up on who makes them and I'm OK with that. I am trying to decide if the 500 will meet my needs or if I need to drop the extra $3K on the 800. My primary concern is making it through a flooded field to get to a duck blind. I'm OK with replacing stock tires for something more aggressive if needed. It will also be something I will drive on country roads when I go to ND next year. Looks like only 2 guys can fit in the 500 and that's OK as well. I usually like bigger and more powerful but I am kinda thinking smaller and lighter might be nice here. I'll also plan to use it for light duty work in the next year or so when we move and get a place with several acres.

The front tires of the 500 are 8" wide and the ones on the 800 are 10" wide. Anyone know if the wider tires would perform in mud better even if the machine is almost 600 lbs heavier.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

2. Member
    Wider tires=higher flotation. Have not been in the business in years but used to have an accessory business out of my shop. Sold tires, wheels, winches etc. If you can get a set of spacers, 1.5" shock relocation/lift kit and go to a set of 27" 10s & 12s it will make a huge difference. The 500 in a SXS is already handicapped on CCs. If I were going to keep it for a while, I would bump to the 800. Also, depending on the model, you may need to install a small clutch kit in it to make the power come in at lower RPMs than from the factory.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

Do you think the difference in power makes a difference in the mud? I don't really care if it can haul or tow a ton of stuff but I do want to be able to get through the mud. I wonder if an advantages of the 800 are offset by they extra weight.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    You can get a clutch kit that will make the sheaves come in on the CVT earlier thus lower rpms to get the atv moving. It does put more strain on the belt. Aftermarket belts sometimes are a must.

How deep of mud you talking about?

I'm not sure how deep. It will be a crop field that has been flooded for a few months. The outfitter says they never have issues in their Polaris crew cab with good mud tires.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I'm not sure how deep. It will be a crop field that has been flooded for a few months. The outfitter says they never have issues in their Polaris crew cab with good mud tires.
    Good mud tires in 27" you should be fine then.

7. Member
    Always have used if you think you need the bigger, it’s better to go ahead and get the extra power and not need it than to need it and not have it. Saying that, I’ve spent a lot of time hunting on a little 2wd 250 yamaha Timberwolf that went through everything. But sure was nice to have the extra room and power from the 600 grizzly. Now I have a Yamaha Wolverine R-spec that is just awesome with 27 mud lights and no lift or spacer required

Yeah, but I don’t know that I do need bigger. I really just need to get trough a flooded field to a duck blind. There are some advantages to having a more compact machine other than just the cost. The smaller one still have 10” of clearance and the tires look like they would clean out fine.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Get an 800. Side by sides are heavy to start with. I have an 800 Kawasaki Teryx and everyone I ride with runs 1000 cc machines. A 500 is ok if you’re going to putt around on the farm on hard pack surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Get an 800. Side by sides are heavy to start with. I have an 800 Kawasaki Teryx and everyone I ride with runs 1000 cc machines. A 500 is ok if you’re going to putt around on the farm on hard pack surfaces.
    What do do you use yours for?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    What do do you use yours for?
    We do a lot of trail riding and I use it on my deer lease. Hauling corn, stands and feeders around. They are a lot of fun.

I haven’t bought anything yet but I used my dad’s 610 Mule on a duck hunt in MO where we had to get across a flooded bean field. I put a 2” lift kit on it and 26” ITP Mud Lite XTR tires on it. It did ok but that was about all it could handle. When the water was deep enough to come over the floor it really bogged down in low and died a few time. I assume it sucked a little water but it always restarted. I went across the field once with 4 guys on it but held it to 3 after that. More power, higher ground clearance and a higher intake would have been better. When I buy, it will definitely be in to 800-1000 cc range.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    +2 Also have the Kawasaki Teryx 800. We use our for hunting deer in the rugged mountains of E. Ky. Our mountain roads are steep, they are usually washed out, rutted, very rocky. Ground clearance is a big plus, also get one that has 4wd with diff. lock. I like that Kawasaki has the Rear sealed wet brake, this way no mud, water can get into the brake system and you always have consistent braking.