How do you deal with this rod locker?

Super frustrating, every time I go in there for a rod its aggravation. I have a 19 520l and only use the left rod locker, middle compartment is baits. I generally TRY to have 11 to 13 rods of a mix, baitcasters and spinning rods. About 8 works fine but more that that and its a pain. I truly wish I would have known you cannot remove the tubes, I would have ordered the boat with them deleted.
    2019 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishead1167 View Post
    Super frustrating, every time I go in there for a rod its aggravation. I have a 19 520l and only use the left rod locker, middle compartment is baits. I generally TRY to have 11 to 13 rods of a mix, baitcasters and spinning rods. About 8 works fine but more that that and its a pain. I truly wish I would have known you cannot remove the tubes, I would have ordered the boat with them deleted.
    Have you thought about changing the handle holder? I have 12 rods with the old school handle holder and I have no issue.

Spinning rods are the hassle. I did take the moose antler thing out and made one out of a cutting board with holes better positioned for the rod butts which helps a lot.

I agree the holder for the rod butts is a big part of the problem. Probably doesn't help that I reel with the handle on the right of the spinning reels.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    One thing you can do—I do this on my Z519—is lay bait boxes flat in the center portion of the middle compartment to allow for 4 rods to go into the top slots above them. Most of the time, if I’m carrying more than 1 or 2 spinning outfits, I put the spinning outfits in the center compartment in this fashion, so they don’t create a cluster in the port-side locker where the bulk of my rods are stored. You still can put a lot of baits/bait boxes into the center compartment, just go along the sides and a little lower down the center.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishead1167 View Post
    I agree the holder for the rod butts is a big part of the problem. Probably doesn't help that I reel with the handle on the right of the spinning reels.
    Same here, so I use the center rod locker for spinning combos and some tackle.
    2005 Z21 Comanche Yamaha VMax 250HPDI

Ran down and checked middle compartment think that was the answer, but because I have the 3700 boxes on end, no cigar. Really not looking to mess with a good system for baits to have 2 frustrations.

Well, I had that problem too, since I carry 15 rods most of the time. What I did was to get rod socks that have a "Pointed" for all the rods !! Then I can put 2 rods in each hole without getting them tangled. Next, when I put them in, I alternate the butts in the rack and laying forward of the reel on the rods below. 4-spinning rods go on top in the larger holes. ALSO, let me know if you want to get rid of that "MooseHead" !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    I pile in 15-20 rods(portside) at any giving time depending on were I am going and how long Ill be away. My solution is to use rod socks with pointed end as stated above, I also cut up pool noodles as spacers between the rods. place 2 rods per hole make a row of about 4-5 lay pool noodle continue till filled. Yes its a pain in ass to get out some on the bottom but it work and also prevents damage on rough run ****18 520L

10. Member
    I carry 16-17 rods in the port locker. I use "rod sox" brand socks as they are pointy and generally slimmer and double up in the upper two rows of sleeves.
    Including the moose antlers, yes the rods are "jammed" into the compartment. Need to organize the rods. Rods that you don't plan on using that day are on the bottom. Flipping rods, punch rods and other broom sticks are on the top. More limber CB rods in the middle. Have never had a broken rod or broken eye either.... thinking the rods being tightly packed keeps them from bouncing around. If I have a couple of spinning rods, they go in the starboard locker on top of the stuff stored in the bottom (bumpers, PFDs, rain gear, clothes ....) Arrange the 6 or 7 rods you are going to start the morning with in the top two rows.... once they are out and strapped down on the deck, the other rods below are accessible.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

11. Member
    I only carry one rod because I always know what the fish are hitting before I head out.

12. Banned
    I put my top 4 rods that I use often in the centre locker top row. I fish mostly one region that has a million lakes and they all fish similar. I can still fit a dozen tackle trays under them. I have 2 Spinning and 2 casting combos, the rest of the rods go in the port side locker. I also use rod socks.

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Well, I had that problem too, since I carry 15 rods most of the time. What I did was to get rod socks that have a "Pointed" for all the rods !! Then I can put 2 rods in each hole without getting them tangled. Next, when I put them in, I alternate the butts in the rack and laying forward of the reel on the rods below. 4-spinning rods go on top in the larger holes. ALSO, let me know if you want to get rid of that "MooseHead" !!!
    I do the same. Can get a lot of rods in there.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

14. Member
    I found using rod socks help a lot when removing rods from that type of locker.

I leave my Plano boxes on end in my center compartment and still have room for 4 rods using the top holes and lay them over the Plano boxes