Cranking Battery

Just did a search and read a lengthy thread on a certain NAPA commercial battery with terrific specs being used as a cranking battery. I am in the market now and run a 200 proxs. This battery looks like a good option for much less money than a marine battery. This thread however was from several years ago. Is there an update on the use of the commercial farm battery for cranking and electronics or is there now a different view or option?
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

Thanks.....reading all this info has my brain scrambled about what battery to get that will be cost effective. Upon a search I found the ACDelco 49 AGM. It seems to be enough battery for my rig and a better price than dropping $400.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

3. Member
    Had a Napa commercial battery for cranking on my last rig with a 200 Pro Xs. Battery lasted nearly four years. Had a commercial battery on the rig before also, but sold that boat in its third year. I would still be using one if my new four stroke did not call for an AGM. Lots of people on this forum use the commercial batteries quite successfully.

BTW, I have never heard of anybody putting a group 49 battery into their boat. That particular Delco only has an RC of 130, which is way too small. If you don't want the commercial battery, but want an AGM but don't want to spend 400 dollars on a Northstar/X2, I suggest you go to Sam's, O'Reilly's, or Batteries Plus and get the 31 series rebadged Duracell/East Penn AGM, which, although a bit shy on ccas for you, many do well with it anyhow.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Has anyone used an Interstate 31XHD? Says 1000 cca, 1250 cranking amps with 195 reserve capacity? Little more pricey than the (31MHD)
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 11-26-2019 at 10:01 AM.

5. Member
    i just went thru this,i have 2005 200 optimax and i put the napa battery in it (commercial battery) Don Weed that runs the mercury board said this battery would work just fine,use AAA discount and i paid 137.00 for it last week