Thread: Latch upgrades.

Latch upgrades.

I want to get rid of the plastic Perko latches and upgrade to wither Marine Town or Southco from the BCB store. I have a few questions before ordering. Boat is a 2017 Sabre.

1. Are either Marine Town or Southco a direct replacement or is one sized different than the current Perko latches?

2. If I order them all at once, will they be keyed alike?

3. Is one brand preferred over the other?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    1. I believe they are, this subject has been brought up in another thread. A search may verify for sure. Allen in parts could verify.
    2. Allen can verify, but I believe this is also a yes.
    3. The Marine Town is the preferred as the shaft is heavier and less prone to bending.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    I don't think the two (marine town vs southco) are interchangeable. I replaced my old perko latches almost 2 years ago. Called Allan and he told me the southco's would be a direct replacement while the marine towns would not. But the question is, which holes do you have in your lids. With the boat hull ID, he can tell you exactly what you need or can use...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Bring your wallet!

To our knowledge they will interchange on later models, and you can upgrade to Marine Town while the boat is in production also.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I want to get rid of the plastic Perko latches and upgrade to wither Marine Town or Southco from the BCB store. I have a few questions before ordering. Boat is a 2017 Sabre.

1. Are either Marine Town or Southco a direct replacement or is one sized different than the current Perko latches?

2. If I order them all at once, will they be keyed alike?

3. Is one brand preferred over the other?
    Go with the Southcos, They are a great upgrade from the Perkos

7. Member
    I upgraded my 13 p2 from whitecap latches to the marinetown. They are a great latch. Though even with the variety of cams sent i still had to hand tweek a few of the cams. Nothing much other than a few bends with a leather mallet and vice wouldnt take care of.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

I had Marinetown in my Cougar and buddy has Southcos on his. I really like the Marinetown so I went with them. I got an email shortly after ordering them apologizing for not being able to ship them right away. It would be a couple of days due to Thanksgiving AND they were currently waiting on a shipment from Marinetown. I like that customer service and just makes me happy to be a BCB owner for the 3rd time.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 11-28-2019 at 08:27 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s