2005 Ranger 521VX

This has been discussed a few times but I can't find a prevailing theme.

I just picked up a 2005 521 VX with Yamaha VMax 250 four stoke. It has two 8 foot power pole II units using the sandwich bracket. Standard four AGM batteries etc in the back in terms of weight.

I'm wanting to put a jack plate on the unit and pick up a second prop. I've got an Atlas on my other boat and have liked it.

The boat is in very good condition, but I'm wary of the engine weight in making my selection. I'm not a speed freak or I would've chosen a different rig. My main focus is being able to lift engine when needed, moving the poles to the jack plate, and mounting my rear transducer on a hole shot plate if possible. If I get a little better performance in doing this while gaining a spare prop, that's a bonus.

Is a 6 inch the safest bet? I've heard that's all Ranger recommended but have seen people go larger. Again I'm focused on reliability more than anything.

Thanks!
    Geoff Soard

2005 Ranger 521VX - 2012 Yamaha 250 VMax
    1996 Ranger 485V - 2016 Evinrude E-Tec 175

Always buying G. Loomis "Green" NRX, GLX CBRs and others.

2. Member
    I'd put an 8" Bob's on it, and set it up from there.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Banned
    I would make a post on the Ranger form and talk to a few that have done it.

4. Member
    On older Rangers 6" was the max they said to put on the boat except for the Z series so get a 6" hydraulic Atlas.