Mercury 225 EFI burning belts

I have a 1998 Mercury 225EFI on my bassboat and about a year ago, it got to where it sounded weak while starting. Finally, it got to the point it wouldn't start...just made a quite winding sound. I pulled the hood off and it had burned the alternator belt off and quit charging battery. I seen black dust pieces on top of the engine. It was an old belt with cracks but it was obviously burned off. So I replaced it with a new belt and went fishing again. After a few trips, it started sounded weaker and weaker while starting. Pulled the hood off and it had burned the NEW belt into again! The pulley looks in line with flywheel. What should I do next? Take the alternator off and have it checked? The pulley turns freely but it is rusted and pitted in the recessed area.....I'm wondering if I should try cleaning that first before removing the alternator and see if that was the problem??????
    Last edited by wjhuskey; 11-21-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Belt adjustment to loose
    alternator bearing failing, should ne noticeable by spinning the alternator pully and checking for any side to side movement
    Belt alignment issues
    Water or oil getting on the belt when running
    Incorrect belt for application (highly recommend OE belts) I would never trust a belt from the automotive parts line for the rpms these motors run
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please open a thread in the 3L Forum, and be sure to provide the Serial Number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor