Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

frog rod options

Before next season starts I'm looking to get a dedicated frog rod. This rod would be for throwing hollow bodied frogs, Sprinker frogs, and buzz frogs like a rage tail frog or shad. Very rarely would this be used for fishing in heavy slop. Most of the time it would be for fishing around lily pads, laydowns, cattails/reeds, duckweed, and over submerged weeds like eel grass. Also, since I live in Iowa I'd pretty much be fishing for bass up to 5-6 pounds max. In other words, I don't feel I need an extra heavy powered rod. Right now I'm thinking the ALX Toadface is what I'm going to get, based on user reviews. But in the past I've been pointed towards rods I didn't know about that wound up being exactly what I was looking for, so I want to have other options to look into as well before I make a decision. I don't want anything longer than 7'4" since I do skip frogs a fair amount. I also want a tip that allows for walking a frog really effectively. I'd prefer to stick below $300 but would spend more for the right rod, and I am open to both full grip and split grip rods. I appreciate any advice or suggestions.

2. Scraps
    I bought a Powell Endurance 724cef as my frog rod. Itsa worm/jig rod, but works for all those scenarios you list. Heavy enough to fish the scum, but enough tip for target fishing.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Ive been using a Dobyns Fury for my frog rod, great price point and it does everything I ask of it.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

Megabass Orochi XX Perfect Pitch or same model in the Levante lineup is my choice.

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    ALX Toadface or what Mark said. I do like the Daiwa frog rod and it’s on sale at TackleWarehouse right now for like 119!
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiw...page-FROG.html
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    I see the Powell and Megabass both have an extra fast tip. My current pitching rod (Daiwa Steez SVF AGS 7'1" MH) also has an extra fast tip and I tried it some for frogging and didn't like it. The tip didn't allow a deep enough flex to walk the frog well, for me at least. I also felt like when I would get a bite the rod didn't load far enough down and I was therefore pulling the frog away from the fish too fast. I realize each company has their own version of what "extra fast" means, but I'm hesitant to get an extra fast rod because of those things. I did have a G Loomis GLX 844C MBR that I thought did a much better job of walking a frog, but I wound up selling that rod. I'd prefer not to spend that kind of money on a dedicated frog rod if I don't have to, but I did like the fast tip on that rod much better.

I have the perfect pitch and have no trouble walking a frog... i would not call it a extra fast, it does have a light enough tip to walk a frog(no problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I see the Powell and Megabass both have an extra fast tip. My current pitching rod (Daiwa Steez SVF AGS 7'1" MH) also has an extra fast tip and I tried it some for frogging and didn't like it. The tip didn't allow a deep enough flex to walk the frog well, for me at least. I also felt like when I would get a bite the rod didn't load far enough down and I was therefore pulling the frog away from the fish too fast. I realize each company has their own version of what "extra fast" means, but I'm hesitant to get an extra fast rod because of those things. I did have a G Loomis GLX 844C MBR that I thought did a much better job of walking a frog, but I wound up selling that rod. I'd prefer not to spend that kind of money on a dedicated frog rod if I don't have to, but I did like the fast tip on that rod much better.

8. Member
    I'm an irod junkie...the frog rod (7'5 H 754F) is awesome for $150. It works well for a jig, whopper plopper, smaller swimbaits too.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

9. Member
    Tatula ags 7'4 frog rod

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    throwing hollow bodied frogs, Sprinker frogs, and buzz frogs
    fishing around lily pads, laydowns, cattails/reeds, duckweed, and over submerged weeds like eel grass.
    I don't want anything longer than 7'4" since I do skip frogs a fair amount.
    I also want a tip that allows for walking a frog really effectively.
    I'd prefer to stick below $300
    You pretty much summed up the Toadface. It basically has a MH tip and a H backend - which is an awesome combination. The MH tip lets you work a popping frog and also walks a frog pretty awesome. The backend is in it to set the dual heavy hooks in the roof of the mouth. Frogs already have a lower hookup ratio so you need every advantage you can get.

I personally skip frogs a lot under cypress trees and docks using the Toadface, so it definitely will do that. It also casts a mile, so if you have a big pad bed, you can cast all the way across it and not spook fish.

If I'm not on Santee with cypress trees, I'm on Clarks Hill throwing around blow downs in the upper branches. Does great in both places.

I think you'd find that you end up using it for swim jigs and even normal jigs too when the frog bite is off.

S-h+op is open M-F 8 to 530PM EST if you ever want to talk thru rods. 866-628-5052 x1

11. Member
    The 7’4” Daiwa frog rod comes in a few variations. For your price point the AGS Tatula Elite Ish Monroe frog rod would be my first choice. The Dobyns Champion 735c would also fit the bill extremely well too.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Haze View Post
    I have the perfect pitch and have no trouble walking a frog... i would not call it a extra fast, it does have a light enough tip to walk a frog(no problem)

Same here. I throw frogs a lot and love the Perfect Pitch.

13. Member
    Toadface

14. Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to continue to read up on some of the suggested rods, particularly the Perfect Pitch and the Daiwa AGS, but I'm still leaning towards the Toadface. I can't find a single person that doesn't love that rod. I'd say I'm going with the Toadface 100% except that I own a Megabass rod and a Daiwa AGS rod, and both are fantastic. I have no prior experience with ALX rods, but also don't think that should prevent me from getting one. Like I said, I'll have to do a little more reading and researching on each one and decide after that. Unfortunately I don't have any place around me that carries any of the rods so I can handle them before purchasing. Thanks again!

15. Scraps
    The ALX lineup is pretty impressive. I'm pretty discriminating when it comes to cranking rods and they've got anything that I would ever need and then some. That goes for other rods too after checking out the website. I say this though I have never had one in my hands, but they get rave reviews from guys who own them.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Member
    Toadface, it's also great for swimming jigs...you might want to call Alex and find out what he'd charge you for a semi custom built on that blank (FL4) that's 7'6".

17. Member
    Phenix feather 7'7 heavy is an incredible rod! I skip a frog alot under docks and bushes and the tip the rod offers helps tremendously!

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have never heard a complaint about the Toadface and it will do many other things equally well. You can’t go wrong with it.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

19. Member
    Would you consider the Toadface an open water frog rod,slop frog rod, or a hybrid?

20. Member
    I use two frog rods right now depending on the conditions. I have a custom built 7'7" for heavy slop. That's my go to rod and I can still skip it under trees and docks fairly well depending on distance. I also have a perfect pitch I'll use when forced into it. That's not my favorite frog rod and I only use it in a pinch. I had a toadface in the past and liked that rod. For heavy slop I still prefer a little longer, heavier rod. I'm probably a little old school in that mindset. I've just had a lot more luck setting the hook and getting them out with the longer rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast