Thread: Elite Ti?

Elite Ti?

I have a Hook 7 that I've been using for about 3 years and am not happy with the slowness of the GPS. Getting on my waypoints is hard unless I'm going directly to them. Basspro has the Elite 9 Ti on a black Friday sale and I'm researching whether it's worth it. I'd like real users input. Thanks

2. Member
    Elite Ti or Elite Ti2? (that would be the first generation, and the current generation).

They will both be faster on the chartplotterside, and if you add "NMEA Starter Kit" and a Point-1 to you wishlist (now or later) it will all be as good as it gets. You can use your existing powercord, but if you wish to use your present transducer you will need an adapater for it (part number 000-13313-001).

My buddy has the 7 inch Elite Ti and his responsiveness seems about the same as my HDS Gen2 units. If you are not concerned about networking, I think the Elite Ti series is a good option.
    If you are having trouble getting onto waypoints, you should consider a Point1 GPS antenna. The Point1 has a built in electronic compass that communicates the direction the boat is pointed. With this information, you can set the chart page to “heading up” and it will rotate the GPS map so it aligns with the front of the boat.
    I don’t know about the Hook series, but the Elite Ti does have NMEA 2000 so it can communicate with the Point1.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    If you bass fish, do not make the mistake of getting the first gen (regular Ti - not the Ti2). The 1st gen has no ethernet capability while the 2nd gen (Ti2) has wireless ethernet.

Ethernet keeps the waypoint database fully synch'ed between the front and back unit and allows you to share map cards between the units.

And yes... you need the NMEA as well to incorporate a Point 1 antenna into the system. The compass keeps the maps from spinning while you are on the trolling motor (slow speeds) as well as contributes to waypoint accuracy when placed near the back transducer.

R

5. Member
    If you bass fish, do not make the mistake of getting the first gen (regular Ti - not the Ti2). The 1st gen has no ethernet capability while the 2nd gen (Ti2) has wireless ethernet.
    According to the Lowrance website the Ti has the capability of using NMEA and the Point 1 antenna.

6. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Correct...the 1st gen does have basic NMEA but that has extremely limited capabilities - cannot synch waypoints (1 way push create only...) and cannot share map cards....the two major shortcomings.

7. Member
    I don't tournament fish and don't have another NMEA capable locator so I think the Elite Ti will do me fine. I'll put the Hook on the bow instead of the 5" Humminbird I have there now.