Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Member First Post

I have been an avid fisherman all my life. I am 43 years old and would like to start fishing competatively part time. I am looking at buying my first boat in my lifetime. My son starts high school next year and wants to eventually fish professionally. I am trying to figure out whether buying a new boat is worth it for my first one. I am looking a the investment side of it. The boat I am really considering is the Lowe Favorite Fishing Edition Dual Console Stinger. It comes with everything I would like in a boat and a dual axle trailer for $45,000. I am currently deployed overseas and have about 6 more months to decide. Any suggestions or advice?

2. Member
    Welcome to the board, lots of people here with excellent knowledge (I'm not one of them). Since you are buying your first boat you may want to upgrade later. Financially you would be better off buying used to avoid a depreciation hit if you later sell or trade. Boats and campers lose value fast the first couple of years. That will get you on the water and give you a chance to figure out what you want on your "keeper" boat.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Welcome to BBC
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

Welcome!

For 45,000 dollars you have a few options especially if you went with a fiberglass bass boat. You could get a new 18 footer with a 150 hp motor and loaded pretty nice. You could also step up to a 20 footer that would be 3-4 years old. Most of these would have good electronics too. You might even find one with an extended warranty on the engine.

5. Member
    Welcome aboard!

6. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Welcome and THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!! As far as boat advice, used is always cheaper...…..you need to make sure that whatever you choose fits your style of fishing and will be a safe choice...…….endless options out there!!!!
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

7. Dogfish_Jones
    Welcome to the board

Welcome and thanks for your service!

9. Member
    Welcome to BBC!!! Thank you for your service

Welcome from Kentucky!

11. Member
    Welcome to the BBC

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie29072 View Post
    I have been an avid fisherman all my life. I am 43 years old and would like to start fishing competatively part time. I am looking at buying my first boat in my lifetime. My son starts high school next year and wants to eventually fish professionally. I am trying to figure out whether buying a new boat is worth it for my first one. I am looking a the investment side of it. The boat I am really considering is the Lowe Favorite Fishing Edition Dual Console Stinger. It comes with everything I would like in a boat and a dual axle trailer for $45,000. I am currently deployed overseas and have about 6 more months to decide. Any suggestions or advice?
    Welcome to the BBC Richie,
    Thank you for your commitment to bringing freedom to those that cannot help themselves. Please do all in your power to come back in States safe and whole, since even though they are called friendlies, many turned out not to be so in Saigon. (Ho Chi Minh City - ironic)
    Goldstar225 has some very good advice, since you will go thru a few before you find that "keeper", so look things over well and gather lots of good intel prior to commit.
    Last edited by digthemup; 12-14-2019 at 09:07 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    Since you are buying your first boat you may want to upgrade later. Financially you would be better off buying used to avoid a depreciation hit if you later sell or trade. Boats and campers lose value fast the first couple of years. That will get you on the water and give you a chance to figure out what you want on your "keeper" boat.
    Agree on used... If you are new to ownership, let your used boat absorb all the rookie mistakes you will make... and believe me you will make them.. we've all been down that road.

I have been an avid fisherman all my life. I am 43 years old and would like to start fishing competitively part time. I am looking at buying my first boat in my lifetime.

First boat? That tells me that you have ZERO experience with anything high performance. I'd strongly urge you to buy something TAME and STABLE. A 18-19 foot boat powered with a 150 or even a 200 would fit this bill IF you are careful and go about it slowly. Bass boats are not for daredevils or speed freaks until they learn the ropes of driving. Competitively? That's a game that is grueling and takes a toll on equipment. Get a name brand quality boat/motor that can take the punishment of rough water and long days.

My son starts high school next year and wants to eventually fish professionally.

One more reason to buy a stable platform that is easy to learn how to drive. And make certain that your son knows how quickly it can rare up and bite him if he gets a bit bold behind the wheel.

I am trying to figure out whether buying a new boat is worth it for my first one. I am looking a the investment side of it.

First off, boats are NOT an investment. They depreciate quickly. The only "investment" might be to buy a Ranger or other top quality boat that will last you & your son many years.

The boat I am really considering is the Lowe Favorite Fishing Edition Dual Console Stinger. It comes with everything I would like in a boat and a dual axle trailer for $45,000.

No, No, and No. Lowe makes a great boat, but when you threw the term "competitive" out there that ruled it out as far as I am concerned. A quality fiberglass hull is what you want for serious competition. Some may disagree, but that's my personal opinion after many. many years of owning bass boats.

I am currently deployed overseas and have about 6 more months to decide. Any suggestions or advice?

Advice? YES ........ Come home safely. And thank you for your service to our country. Here's wishing you a long and enjoyable future with your family!

15. Member
    First of all thanks for your service! I would recommend buying used, but first consider all the factors, they do depreciate new ones and old , look at walleye central website , some hold their value more tan others, like an expensive tool buy what you figure will work for you and your son, but as it seems you are doing your homework you can at least be knowledgeable in what your buying, good luck and be safe.

16. Member
    Thank you for your service. Welcome to BBC. Go with a new one for the warranty. And what you are looking for. Speaking from experience. $$$$$ Later. I bought a used one. ����

17. Member
    I did end up ordering the Favorite Edition Lowe. In the end, it was exactly what I was looking for in a boat and had everything that met my needs. The only thing that sucks is I will have made 6 payments before I can get home and put it in the water!! I get home in June and so ready to go fishing!!!

That's good to hear Richie! I wasn't familiar with that boat or model so I had to look it up,very nice!
    All the best to you and your son and the experiences you'll share together, priceless!

Thank you for your service ! When you get home, find a local Bass Club and get you and your son in. They have monthly tournaments that are pretty low keyed and will get you started in the competitive world. You might even fish as a Co-Angler drawn to a Boater and learn from him some where and how to's before just shooting out as a team. Then you could take your boat out and try some of what you learned and perfect it. Then you'd be more ready to take charge.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

welcome
    Phoenix 919 Merc 225 pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast