hitch rattle stop

I recently traded trucks....in the past I would always drill a new hole in my hitch the same size as the pin. First I would push the hitch in as far as it would go and mark where I would drill the new hole. This made everything fit tight and eliminated all rattle noise. With my new to me truck I have to have a 5-1/4" drop. The drop I have, has a small brace welded to the back side which will not allow me to shove it in the receiver all the way so its flush with the female side of the receiver. I can't stand the rattle/clunk noise when I come to a stop and then I take off. I know this sounds strange but it drives me nuts. I wrapped some electrical tape around the hitch and put it back in the receiver. It took away some of the noise but I can still feel the movement when I take off from a stop.

I found this product...

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Warr...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Anyone have experience with it...does it work? In theory it looks like it should work but I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this product. I had never heard of it until just recently and I have been towing for many years.

2. Member
    This is what I use and it works great. You can find them on Ebay search for "hitch anti-Rattle"

2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

Thanks for the feedback

4. Member
    I use one of those also. Works great.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

5. Member
    I drill and tap mine. Use a jam nut also. Does not move at all. Another plus to doing this, it makes it harder for someone to steal it. I do this on my 4wheelers also. I HATE rattling noises.

6. Member
    I use one too but I think they mount them wrong. Placing the plate on the bottom forces the hitch up, putting tongue weight on the plate. If you turn it over, it clamps the hitch down, preventing movement and keeping the weight on the receiver.

BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    I use one too but I think they mount them wrong. Placing the plate on the bottom forces the hitch up, putting tongue weight on the plate. If you turn it over, it clamps the hitch down, preventing movement and keeping the weight on the receiver.
    I have looked at several different models and they all seems to be the same design. Most are installed like the one in the picture in the link I posted in my original reply. Yes it does look like it would push the hitch up. However I did see a couple pictures on other brands where they put the plate on top. This would draw the receiver tight in downward position. I also think that would be better. All the weight of the trailer is pushing down, hence I would want to force my hitch down into a tight position...wife was aking what to get me for christmas. I think I will put this on the list.

thanks for all the feedback

I'd look at some of the other causes of "Rattle". Like, is the trailer master cylinder full, is there air in the lines, is the shock or spring weak and need replacing ? Mine bumped and rattled too, then I rebuilt the master cylinder and shock and spring and..........no more slap and rattle.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I'd look at some of the other causes of "Rattle". Like, is the trailer master cylinder full, is there air in the lines, is the shock or spring weak and need replacing ? Mine bumped and rattled too, then I rebuilt the master cylinder and shock and spring and..........no more slap and rattle.
    Thanks for the input but its 100% the hitch...with nothing hooked to the truck you can grab the hitch and move it a small amount. This is where the noise come from and this is also the movement I feel when I take off from a dead stop.

A former tournament partner of mine just drove some small wooden or metal wedges between the drawbar and receiver.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Shim the hitch. I flattened and cut an old license plate. Filled the gap on top and one side, hitch is now tight enough I have to tap it in or out with a hammer. It's now silent, and I reckon theft resistant lol.

13. Member
    I use this for the past 7 years or so. Works very well. It's not 100% silent but pretty close.
    https://www.amazon.com/Softride-Tigh...s%2C220&sr=8-4

I use this, another option.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

15. Member
    I use silicon caulk, applied liberally to stop the motion and click noise. Remove the ball assembly shaft that slides into the hitch and apply many coats of silicon to the 4 sides for the 6 inches or so that slide into the hitch receiver and a ring or two to the inside of the receiver and slide the shaft into the hitch while the silicon is still not set up. Wipe up the excess after mating the parts and let it setup overnight. Should cure your rattle. If you take the hitch shaft and ball out over the winter, I had to rope it to a telephone pole and pull with my vehicle to remove it. Now, I just put some silicon spray on the ball and cover it with a cut up tennis ball that I put a smiley face on.

16. Member
    Bill Reynolds
    I use this, another option.
    X2

Used this type since April and am very satisfied with it.
    Would suggest some antisieze on the threads if you leave it on all the time.

I had the same problem. I drove a couple of these composite shims in the gaps and the clunks went away.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ez-Shim-Heavy...4523909&sr=8-5

I think another common reason is the pin for these swing tongues, they allow for some looseness as well or play, I showed my manufacturer that and they stated not much they can do?? I do agree these receivers do have play and will be getting one of these clamps , so thanks for sharing !!

19. Member
    They work great . I have used on for quite some time.
    2019 Ranger rt188
    Merc 115 Pro xs ct
    Minn Kota Edge 70
    Tempest 21p

20. Member
    That's the one I use when towing the boat or rv. Be sure and check once in a while because I have had to tighten up after use.