Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rumble strips in the center of the lanes

A few of our local roads are adding rumble strips to the center of the lanes along with raised pavement markers. I hope they add them to all of our roads. At least once a day I see someone cross center normally looking down at their phone. These should alert the drive to get back in their lane. At the very least the texting driver will go from right rumble strip to center rumble strip then back again zig zagging down the road but maintaining their own lane.

Is this an every state thing?

If it keeps one 16 year old temp permit driver from getting stuck, they're worth it.

3. Member
    They just create an opening for pot holes to form sooner. Waste of time and money.

4. Member
    We have them on a road in our county where there have been numerous collisions, a nusance when you run over them but they do get your attention.

Hate 'em, but there's a need so rumble on.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

6. Member
    Personally I think they are a good thing. I think it will help keep people in their lane

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    They just create an opening for pot holes to form sooner. Waste of time and money.
    You'll have to explain to me how water sitting on top of pavement and not inside it can cause a pothole.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

8. Member
    I drive for business and see people drift or cross the centerline a lot. I think these should be standard moving forward. People clearly cannot stay off their phones while driving.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barca_Veloce View Post
    I drive for business and see people drift or cross the centerline a lot. I think these should be standard moving forward. People clearly cannot stay off their phones while driving.
    I couldn't agree more. Idiots don't have a clue when they drift across the road.I see it multiple times a day & have been hit head on once. If i hadn't reacted just barely in time i would have got it head on again about a month ago when some idiot was texting( per witness) & came across 4 lanes of traffic straight at me. He came from the north bound slow lane all the way across to the south bound slow lane. Thankfully i cut it in time & he hit the bank beside the road instead of me.

10. Member
    Uh, yeah no. Smh.
    Up here in pot hole nirvana due to our freeze thaw cycles, I have yet to see a pot hole open up where they do rumble strips. We have had the rumble strips on the white line as well as the middle for over 6years, some roads over that.
    What causes the pot hole is when water gets under the pavement and either washes the road base out due to the movement of the asphalt or the freeze thaw cycle doing the same. Water has no effect on it if just sitting on top of the asphalt. This is also confirmed by a local transportation engineer who I happen to know.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

They are a lot of fun for us , that ride motorcycles.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    If it keeps one 16 year old temp permit driver from getting stuck, they're worth it.

13. Member
    They are good when driving in a snow storm at night and you can't tell where the center line is.

14. Member
    Love to drive over them when the wife is with me and not paying attention. Boy does she get pissed. Scares the crap out of her

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I knew that was coming.
    Praying for a Cure

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyway View Post
    Totally agree. Those and rain grooves.. !!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyway View Post
    Yep, run over a rumble strip in a curve on a bike and you could easily have an accident, caused by a rumble strip. A better idea is treat "on the phone" driving stricter than a DUI, since it has now proven to be deadlier than drinking and driving.

18. Member
    How do they cause more pot holes? They’re on every state highway here in Michigan and I’ve yet to see a pothole start where these have been installed. They don’t cut all the way through the pavement or even close.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Love to drive over them when the wife is with me and not paying attention. Boy does she get pissed. Scares the crap out of her
    Me too, great entertainment on a boring road trip.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Uh, yeah no. Smh.
    Up here in pot hole nirvana due to our freeze thaw cycles, I have yet to see a pot hole open up where they do rumble strips. We have had the rumble strips on the white line as well as the middle for over 6years, some roads over that.
    What causes the pot hole is when water gets under the pavement and either washes the road base out due to the movement of the asphalt or the freeze thaw cycle doing the same. Water has no effect on it if just sitting on top of the asphalt. This is also confirmed by a local transportation engineer who I happen to know.
    x2--spinningreel don't have a clue

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast