Rod building kits

Looking to get my dad a rod building kit for Christmas. I was wondering if this is the way to go to get him started out or not. Should I upgrade to a power one or just get the manual one? He is a very good fly tyer and also is very good with an airbrush. He hand makes and paints musky baits and crankbait/jerkbait blanks so he's pretty good at this type of thing. I have no problem spending a little extra to get him set up the right way, as I think (well I know) that he will really enjoy it! Thanks for any suggestions!
    Last edited by Brady bass; 11-20-2019 at 07:26 PM.

2. Member
    Power is overkill unless you’re wrapping 50 rods a year in my opinion. You will need a powered dryer though.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter_ View Post
    Power is overkill unless you’re wrapping 50 rods a year in my opinion. You will need a powered dryer though.
    Ok that's kinda what I thought but wasn't sure. I see mudhole has a middle of the road kit for about 450$ was leaning towards that one. Thanks! Still up in the air.

4. Member
    I believe mud hole had 35% off on kits last year for Black Friday. Keep an eye out.

5. Member
    Awesome! Thank you sir!

6. Member
    Power is not overkill IMO. If your budget allows for Power go power. Is it absolutely necessary to go Power? No, but it is worth it to go power if you can afford it.

7. Member
    A powered wrapper is worth it imo, but I also build professionally. 90% of my wrapping is done by hand and not under power, but it's very useful for other things like applying epoxy or getting a perfectly straight cut on grips, ect. Make sure to get a decent one, as the good ones will last damn near forever. We have some that are close to 30 years old and still going strong.

8. Member
    I personally still use the same Flex Coat hand wrapper that I started with in 2004. I build maybe 30 or 40 a year and repair God knows how many. Never have felt I needed a power wrapper.

I'd go with a nice handwrapper, 18 RPM dryer and a set of Dream Reamers. You can get all of that for $150 or less. If you really want to spend $400 then get him a hobby lathe too.