Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    he likes em fat

Attachment 383837
    My uncle had a Bassett named Blue, that sucker would get a hold of ground hogs and rabbits all of the time on his patch. Needed a coal shovel to take it away from him

2. Member
    To create sweeter squirrel and gravy.
    Praying for a Cure

3. Member
    I have a Black Walnut tree on the front lawn. Last year was a poor yield, no nuts at all due to very wet spring. This spring had a bumper crop of flowers on tree for nuts to grow from.
    Had just a bumper crop of nuts and they formed fast.Word got around in the squirrel world and boy, they started raiding my tree at night. We have enjoyed watching all the antics which these little tree rats put on. These little thieves have had that tree cleaned right out of nuts for over a month and a half. Eye balling them every morning as they play in the yard, they are in great shape, fat and very furry with good condition to their coats. I'm a little afraid of what Mother Nature has in store for us this winter. Had a bitter cold spell last week and some snow which is still around. Had a fantastic day fishing yesterday, first time in 2 weeks due to cold and ice,but I found a lake with NO ICE on it and my finned friends appreciated a little extra Ned rig activity. Caught a grand total of 45 dam well fed large small mouth bass. Hope to visit them again soon. Water temps 41*F.

4. Moderator
    I bought 10 acres this year that is heavily wooded. There are SO MANY squirrels. My son and I are going this weekend to thin them out some. He got a 410 last year from santa and is dying to go.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by plowjock View Post
    I have a Black Walnut tree on the front lawn. Last year was a poor yield, no nuts at all due to very wet spring. This spring had a bumper crop of flowers on tree for nuts to grow from.
    Had just a bumper crop of nuts and they formed fast.Word got around in the squirrel world and boy, they started raiding my tree at night. We have enjoyed watching all the antics which these little tree rats put on. These little thieves have had that tree cleaned right out of nuts for over a month and a half. Eye balling them every morning as they play in the yard, they are in great shape, fat and very furry with good condition to their coats. I'm a little afraid of what Mother Nature has in store for us this winter. Had a bitter cold spell last week and some snow which is still around. Had a fantastic day fishing yesterday, first time in 2 weeks due to cold and ice,but I found a lake with NO ICE on it and my finned friends appreciated a little extra Ned rig activity. Caught a grand total of 45 dam well fed large small mouth bass. Hope to visit them again soon. Water temps 41*F.
    Cold water Ned fishing, thanks for the tip!
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Micro squirrel tail jigs, are killer for Smallies in cold weather......get cracking!

Man I've had some chunkers running around my yard since September and I wondered if it meant winter would be here early. Sure enough we've already been through two snow storms. Of course its back to the 50's today.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    All I know is they can tell the difference between rimfire and hi-power!
    As with turkeys, if they see you in camo they are gone, put on a bright orange hat and vest for deer hunting and the turkeys will crawl all over you.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

9. Member
    Gives you a better target.

10. Member
    My cousin says his property is loaders with squirrels the size of cats. I think it’s squirrel and smoking season for him
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    As with turkeys, if they see you in camo they are gone, put on a bright orange hat and vest for deer hunting and the turkeys will crawl all over you.
    I was told by a friend to ditch the Quakerboy hat, turkeys can read!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    All I know is they can tell the difference between rimfire and hi-power!

Yes they can, put a rimfire in your hand you'll never see them, put centerfire in your hand and they're everywhere barking and giving away your location

Yeah we have some chunkers on my land. They're devouring the acorns right now. Hell, I have spots in my flower beds where they're burying the spoils of their hard work.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

15. Member
    Some friends of mine has shot 68 out of there pecan trees this year . They said there pretty good wrapped to in a corn tortilla.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    He (Nero) actually loves to hear the the hammer on the 410 get cocked back. He can be sound asleep or eating. Once he hears the click he goes into full alert and then after he hears the shot he is in full search mode. Then he will finish off the squirrel and gives it a proper burial somewhere in the yard after we play a game of chase

Attachment 383838
    Crock pot or pressure cooker for you or for him! Clean them, freeze them and cook up when you get enough. Decent pellet gun has more than enough power to take them out if you hit them properly.

17. Member
    Lots of them around here. Just hope they do not eat the wires on my car like they did two years ago.. And cost me lots of money to repair..

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Table Rock 1 View Post
    Lots of them around here. Just hope they do not eat the wires on my car like they did two years ago.. And cost me lots of money to repair..
    yep same happened here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Thinking oysters?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast