Tharp Money Maker 7'3"MH vs. Daiwa Tatula Frog rod

Trying to decide between the Ark Tharp Money Maker 7'3"MHF and Daiwa Tatula 7'4" Frog rod. Price seems to be about the same shipped. I will be casting hollow body frogs and horny toads into pads and slop. I'm concerned the Daiwa 7'4"HF rod may not have enough tip for the horny toad. I had a St. Croix SCV 7' Heavy and didn't care for the heavy tip. Any comments? Thanks.

2. Member
    Go with the tatula, you'll love it. I will say though, if you can swing the $ for the ags frog rod, it's well worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Go with the tatula, you'll love it. I will say though, if you can swing the $ for the ags frog rod, it's well worth it IMO.
    Agreed. It also makes an excellent deep water jig and worm rod. TT just posted up a lightly used Tatula Elite 74H AGS this afternoon among other used rods and reels...

Used Daiwa Rods @ The Tackle Trap

4. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure about the AGS guides. I have a friend with AGS guide on Tatula elite and he's broken multiple by slightly stepping on rod while on deck and running rough water in center rod storage. They crush or fracture rather than bend. Those guides are $$$ from daiwa too. Pending price difference, I may go with the regular guided daiwa frog rod.

5. Member
    I bought 4 ags rods 2 years ago and haven't had a guide failure. There's no way running in rough water will bust those guides. Your guy must be real careless with his rods, but I guess if he's stepping on them then I answered my own question!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    I bought 4 ags rods 2 years ago and haven't had a guide failure. There's no way running in rough water will bust those guides. Your guy must be real careless with his rods, but I guess if he's stepping on them then I answered my own question!
    I'm not disagreeing with that statement. He does seem to have more guide issues with his ags rod was my point. Thanks for the feedback.

7. Member
    if the tat & tat elite frog rods are anything like the steez xt frog rod, the rating can be a little misleading. the xt is an xh power, but it has plenty of tip to it. i don't really fish a frog much at all, so i use the rod for jigs 1/2oz + , and also for small swimbaits. the rod will sling those little 4" storm wildeye shad baits