Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Garmin Force vs. Lowrance Ghost

Check it out!

2. Banned
    The force seems impressive, but it’s not what I wanted, Ghost for me!

Looks like they were a bit hard to control

4. Member
    Thanks for the video. Can't believe the difference in thrust.

5. Member
    Good video.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    Thanks for the video. Can't believe the difference in thrust.
    That is weird, Ghost supposed to have 120 Ibs, surely they did not have it on 24 volt and did not know it. Wonder if They both used exact prop ?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    That is weird, Ghost supposed to have 120 Ibs, surely they did not have it on 24 volt and did not know it. Wonder if They both used exact prop ?
    odd indeed!

Now that you mentioned it, I think I’ll send them a message to see if they verified that it was on 36v, good thinking sir.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 11-21-2019 at 04:07 PM.

8. Member
    I dunno.... I watched some video of a Ghost getting unpacked and the anemic looking 2 blade prop that comes with it could be a problem....

Wonder if their prop design is compatible with any other Mfg..... hahahahah.... what the hell was I thinkin' of course it isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    I dunno.... I watched some video of a Ghost getting unpacked and the anemic looking 2 blade prop that comes with it could be a problem....

Wonder if their prop design is compatible with any other Mfg..... hahahahah.... what the hell was I thinkin' of course it isn't!
    Yeah I would want to see them in action on a grass lake. You don't have to pickup the tm and spin the prop to get grass off on a Minnkota very much

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reelmin5 View Post
    Yeah I would want to see them in action on a grass lake. You don't have to pickup the tm and spin the prop to get grass off on a Minnkota very much

Not on my lake, you have to pull the motor and clean it all off. I’m scared the ghost will be just as bad.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Not on my lake, you have to pull the motor and clean it all off. I’m scared the ghost will be just as bad.
    Test it. Test it. Test it. (Chant). :)

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbmitch View Post
    Test it. Test it. Test it. (Chant). :)
    I will and I’m afraid to admit, I’m scared of the results!

The ghost was on 36volt. Biggest issue we have is we cannot figure out how minnkota rates the pound thrust on their trolling motors. Nor can lowrance or garmin when we met with them. There is no "standard testing or industry standard" for the industry to determine thrust, at least that garmin, lowrance or us could find. Johnson Outdoors will not share with us how they determine their thrust rating. When we did the exact same testing for Minnkota 112 thrust ultrex it came in 65-77 pounds pulling weight on our scale if I remember correctly.

This is where it really gets complicated and where companies become very very vague. They want to appear to have high thrust, but thrust can be effected from the actual motor, prop, and boat it is on and where and how you want to determine that thrust, kind of like outboard horsepower is it measured at the head or at the propshaft. Another factor that we learned as well, if the trollingmotor motors have too much thrust, I can't remember what the cutoff is thrust wise but say it is 125 Pounds of thrust, they would have to have a tether or killswitch attached to the trollingmotor. This is why when they had them at Icast both companies were stating about 10-20% more thrust than a minnkota ultrex but they would not get specific on the actual thrust numbers.......because they and we didn't know what the true numbers or how they came up with them are.

Garmin so far seems to be the most true when it comes to closest real world thrust numbers (at least by our numbers) vs. what they claim.

14. Banned
    Thanks Hawg!

15. Member
    RMP is (as Hawg says) measuring thrust (or rather pull) in a completely fair way, no criticism from me there. But prop design plays a major role, and other ways of measuring can therefore give very different readings. From a fishing-perspective I like the RMP-way of measuring, as this is pretty close to my own needs for thrust: Typically spotlock so the boat is laying still, then a strong gust of wind comes and the TM needs to correct quickly and with enough thrust.

16. Member
    I can tell you from experience, my ghost was holding in 20+mph in anchor mode.

they can all do that.

18. Banned
    I have been researching both and just rewatched video to compare, answer the thrust problem when Ghost was faster. Two things I noticed, maybe only one thing. Josh kept his hand on scale entire time when the garment force was tested keeping straight at least. He does not do the same with the Ghost,let’s go rather quickly and you can see scale move side to side.

I think I would have to see another test with equal variables.

19. Banned
    Meh, the Garmin prop is bigger, it should make more power. But my fortrex and ghost prop are the exact same size, the ghost is faster. Speed doesn’t mean much to me, the quietness is what I like.

I have run my ghost through really thick hydrilla and it exceeded my expectations.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Meh, the Garmin prop is bigger, it should make more power. But my fortrex and ghost prop are the exact same size, the ghost is faster. Speed doesn’t mean much to me, the quietness is what I like.

I have run my ghost through really thick hydrilla and it exceeded my expectations.
    Does that mean garmin runs through battery faster? Is has to use more power to turn the prop. I’m not paying outrageous price without knowing. Kudos to Justin for test of the three but right now I’d have to lean towards ultrexx first, ghost second, force third. Garmin live whatever is better than Lowrance but the rest that I have seen looks horrible compared. Including controlling force motor, maybe that is why Josh had to stabilize scale?
    Just due process is all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast