Banned

F150 LB For Bass Boat

Hey guys, I have a merc Opti Pro XS on my ranger z118 but I'm looking for a more reliable easier to maintain 4stroke. I found a left over 2016 F150 LB 20" shaft for a great price. I know it will not perform like the opti will (58mph loaded all day 60 solo) but im willing to loose top end for reliability. I know the SHO is a better fit however, a 2019 is $8000 more then this F150...
    thx all

2. Scraps
    How long yah plan on keeping this boat? I'm thinking you're gonna take a bath on repowering with something new. Money that you'll never recoup. I might be rationalizing upgrading to a boat that has the motor I want. At least this is what I'm thinking right now. I'm not a big fan of my XS.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Banned
    The boat is in fantastic shape and works perfect. The Opti has me worried, has ran decent but has had a few issues. By the time I sell my motor and buy the Yamaha installed with controls and prop I’m in for $7000. If I sell my boat as is for market value and add $7000 I can’t buy anything close. The Canadian boat market is very expensive. I can sell my ranger for $34-$36k easy. I thought about getting into a Lund pro v bass or similar and I’m look at $65k then add TM and graphs.

4. Member
    What is the specific concern(s) and/or question(s)?

You may be pleasantly surprised with the output of the F150.

5. Member
    If you can repower a really good boat, that you really like, and want to keep, with an almost new 4stroke for $7000 CDN, go for it. I just repowered an '02 Skeeter with a new SHO for a LOT more than that. Was a very hard decision... I know I'll never get my money back, but I now have a great boat with a new, dependable, warrantied motor...still for a lot less $$ than a new one that will quickly depreciate anyway....My opinion only...

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    If you can repower a really good boat, that you really like, and want to keep, with an almost new 4stroke for $7000 CDN, go for it. I just repowered an '02 Skeeter with a new SHO for a LOT more than that. Was a very hard decision... I know I'll never get my money back, but I now have a great boat with a new, dependable, warrantied motor...still for a lot less $$ than a new one that will quickly depreciate anyway....My opinion only...
    you know the cost of boats our way. My little ranger is perfect for what need it for. Just concerned the Yamaha 150 will lake the power but I know it’s one of the most reliable motors around. Any ways, I purchased the motor the deal was just too good to pass up. Brand new 2016 I will be the first owner.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m very curious to see what kind of performance difference you see.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I’m very curious to see what kind of performance difference you see.
    Its not going to be a 2 stroke V6 but I bet it will never let me down. Should still see mid 50's I'm happy with that.

9. Member
    Congrats....should be a really good motor....and great $$ for brand new.

10. Member
    I have the F150 on my 2012 Z118. Before buying the F150 I had 3 mechanics from two separate dealerships tell me they are one of the best motors made and rarely need anything more than an annual oil change. The dealerships also sold evinrude and/or mercury as well as Yamaha. So far all I have ever had to do on mine is change the oil/filter once a year. Changing the oil and its filter is easy peasy on that engine.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    I have the F150 on my 2012 Z118. Before buying the F150 I had 3 mechanics from two separate dealerships tell me they are one of the best motors made and rarely need anything more than an annual oil change. The dealerships also sold evinrude and/or mercury as well as Yamaha. So far all I have ever had to do on mine is change the oil/filter once a year. Changing the oil and its filter is easy peasy on that engine.
    that what I was looking for, reliable motor with east maintenance... tromanoski I sent you a PM

12. Member
    Make sure that the motor is propped so that it can turn at or near its red line RPM (6000) when the boat is loaded and the motor is trimmed up only to the point of best efficiency.

You are gonna love that model. I am guessing that it will be on par with your old motor with respect to performance.

Remember, there are two types of four stroke owners coming from a two stroke. Those that have tried to start it when it is already running and those that will try to start it when it is already running.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Make sure that the motor is propped so that it can turn at or near its red line RPM (6000) when the boat is loaded and the motor is trimmed up only to the point of best efficiency.

You are gonna love that model. I am guessing that it will be on par with your old motor with respect to performance.

Remember, there are two types of four stroke owners coming from a two stroke. Those that have tried to start it when it is already running and those that will try to start it when it is already running.
    True statement. I went from an HPDI to an F200. I have hopped to another spot come down off plane. Jumped up on the trolling motor. Only to realize I forgot to turn it off. So darn quiet it's amazing. I'll never go back to a 2 stroke. I know I gave up some top end by not going with a sho but the reliability of the F series is what sold me. Do some research. I was just down in Sarasota fla and every marina I drove by there was about 75% of all the motors on the saltwater rigs were Yamaha F series. I see some for sale with over 1000 hours still fetching a good penny.