Shimano SLX DC ??

Been thinking about buying one of these reels (Shimano SLX DC), any input or knowledge of these reels would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    I have the Curado DC, not the SLX DC, but they both use the same I-DC4 digital brake control system. So, speaking strictly on the DC part of the reel, here is what I have learned using my Curado DC's:
    --On both of my Curado DC's, I have been using straight braid. With no wind, I can absolutely bomb casts with the reel on the number 1 setting (least amount of braking). However, if there is anything more than a breeze, I switch to setting 2 (braid) to avoid backlashes. I do lose a little distance, but it still casts great at that setting.
    --I have never used setting 3 before, so I can't speak to how well it casts with that setting in place.
    --I have used setting 4 a lot for skipping frogs, swim jigs, and chatterbaits. You have very limited distance, but you can skip with confidence knowing that it's really tough to backlash the reel on setting 4. Because of that, I've attempted to skip baits into areas I wouldn't have ever tried with a non-dc reel and I do believe that has meant catching some fish I would not have caught before.
    --Making adjustments is super easy as you just need to turn the dial from one setting to another.
    --The DC system is not backlash-proof, but even when I have managed to get a backlash with it, they've always been easy pick out. I have yet to experience a backlash with the reel that took me more than a few seconds to get out.
    --I would not recommend the reel if you plan on doing any pitching/flipping with it. I tried using it as a pitching reel one day and quickly learned that it's just not intended for that. You could use it in a pinch if you really need to, but the DC system is made for casting.

Hope this helps a little. If you have any questions about the DC system, let me know. I wouldn't hesitate to get the SLX DC, especially in the price range it's in.

3. Member
    Mainly looking for help with skipping lures. Thanks for the info.

yea i was under the impression it helped for skipping? maybe not?

i know thats what the Daiwa Tatula SV reels are suppose to help.
    "The Green Machine!"

1998 ProCraft 200 BASS
    1998 Mariner EFI 200 HP 2.5
    4 Blade Trophy 24P