lithum advantage?

I have a 1996 190 with a 200 hp yammie. I also have two very big fishing partners one at a time.. Has anyone replaced the trolling motor batteries with Lithium and did the boat sit higher in the water? I have tried several options to raise the back of the boat with no with no luck. I can only guess what the reduction of 150 # will do. Two b atteries and a Minna Kota charger. Would welcome your thoughts.

2. 80.3 mph and squeezing bruce''s Avatar
    I have a 202 and just made the change.
    I replaced 4 batteries with Lithium.
    Took 180 pounds out of the boat. I weighed each battery.
    It changed the way the boat handled.
    I am still working on getting the prop setup right. The boat handles very different.
    Fishing Texas lakes one at a time
    2000 Baltex hull 202 Elite Champion
    2016 250 pro
    8 inch Hydraulic Jack Plate
    tempest 27 work by Steve
    Hook sets are fishing reality.

3. Member
    Do you have a charger mounted in the boat? To charge my 181 I have a Minn Kota 3 bank charger mounted in my garage, and I extended the battery cables on the charger and added alligator clips. When I pull the boat in, I just hook the charger leads to the batteries and turn on the charger. That will save some weight, not as much as lithium obviously but everything adds up.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthewstn View Post
    Do you have a charger mounted in the boat? To charge my 181 I have a Minn Kota 3 bank charger mounted in my garage, and I extended the battery cables on the charger and added alligator clips. When I pull the boat in, I just hook the charger leads to the batteries and turn on the charger. That will save some weight, not as much as lithium obviously but everything adds up.
    I also have a three bank charger that will come out. It appears that you can use this charger however the cutoff point on these chargers is 13.8 and the lithum batteries cut off point is 14.5 so I will probley not use this charger and will certenly futher reduce the weight reduction. I just wanted to confirm that the boat would sit higher in the water. I think that I am going to remove the two lead acid batteries that I want to replace and put the boat in the water to see how it sits in the water,

5. Banned
    Not sure exactly where your fuel tank is but 16.6 gal of fuel is 100lb. Be a lot easier to add fuel your going to burn then to remove batteries.

6. Banned
    I’d guess you might gain 1/2”.

7. Member
    I changed to lithium batteries in my boat and pulled the charger out. I figured you don't use it on the water, so why carry it around. When I travel I just take it with me. I will never go back to "conventional" batteries. I still remember what it was like pulling 70-80lb lead weights out of my boat...no thanks.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    I changed to lithium batteries in my boat and pulled the charger out. I figured you don't use it on the water, so why carry it around. When I travel I just take it with me. I will never go back to "conventional" batteries. I still remember what it was like pulling 70-80lb lead weights out of my boat...no thanks.
    With my 275 # partner on the back it appears to have raised the back up aat least 3 inches and am looking forward to seeing incresed hight when i fish by my self

Have been looking at amped outdoors and KS energy. No phone number that I can find.??? Five year warrenty might not be worth the paper its written on if I cant contact eig
    theither.

9. Member
    I put 2 BattleBorns in my 187. It did make a noticeable difference (I could see the water line difference but never measured). Even after putting 2 12' talons on, the back still sits higher than before. I'll never NOT have lithiums.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Milehibird View Post
    I put 2 BattleBorns in my 187. It did make a noticeable difference (I could see the water line difference but never measured). Even after putting 2 12' talons on, the back still sits higher than before. I'll never NOT have lithiums.

Are you saying that you put 2 talons on, that are as heavy as most batteries and your boat sits higher than it before? That’s about impossible when doing the math.

Talons are 47lbs ea without brackets.
    Most batteries are about 50lbs ea. Exide agm 31 & X2 Power are about 70lbs ea.

I’m guessing the battle borns weigh around 20lbs give it take.

You guys are getting a tad exaggerant on the details here.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 11-22-2019 at 04:39 PM.

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    There is several option on the batteries, first thing is are you running a 24 or 36 volt trolling motor??
    If its a 24 volt there isnt much savings, but if your running a 36 volt, look at Lithium Pro 36 volt batteries and a Stealth one charger that can save a lot of weight and room in the bilge with only 2 batteries and the stealth One charger is about a 1/3 or 1/4 of a Pro Charger.

The folks offering 3 12 volt lithiums and converting the dual pro to lithium is saving very little in weight and non in room. Its cheaper than the lithium set up, yet half the weight savings, and non of the space. Its hard to put fast numbers on it, it all depends on what batteries you are running and what you want to go with. I know In my case the Dual Pro 4 bank charger was 29 lbs. and with only two 36 volt batteries, it saved a bunch and gave access to all my pumps without removing annything to get to the pumps.

Guys are running 3 12 volt batteries with a re programmed dual pro, You save no space over a conventional set up, the charger saves no weight, and the batteries are half the weight, so not much of a weight saving and non on space saving.

So you just need to figure out the best bang for the buck, or if you want to just get lithium so you can say Im running lithiums!!!