2013 Cougar FTD Hole Shot with PowerPoles

Looking to pull the trigger on a 2013 Cougar FTD with Mercury 250 ProXs and was warned I may have holeshot issues in the summer months with full load if I install (2) powerpole blades, 8” Bobs JP and 36V TM. Is this an accurate claim? If so, may be a deal breaker so very interested in hearing BCB owners input. Kind of a bummer since I was very excited about this boat. Thank you!
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

2. Member
    I have a 2013 puma . Same hull. Blades atlas ultrex. No problems for me. It won’t jump on plane like your champion. Much bigger boat. Good luck JD
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

3. Member
    Others will join in but you should have no problems with blades. They regularly install PPoles from the factory and a 250xs on cougar will not be a problem with correct prop for the conditions. For any bass boat, lots of variables such as humidity, temp, engine size prop pitch, 3 or 4 blade, hydraulic JP or fixed all come into play. My 2011 Puma FTD (same hull and ~ weight) with 250XS, 12' talons and tx loaded performs well with a Ronnie Gilbert worked 25 Fury 3 year. The 25 Fury 3 is safe bet for year round prop but some will opt for the 26 Fury 3. Search the board and you'll find many threads on this topic.

Also, Some people choose to run a summer prop and cold air prop or big water prop instead or with a worked prop. As I too am a original Champ Owner, your 191 Elite is a special ride, but you'll love the Cougar.

Separately, if you are looking for a newer ride and money is no object you might be interested in this recent thread: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1010177.

Welcome to the BCB family.

At worst, you may have to add a little extra venting to a fury 3 if that's what you end up running. I ran a similarly equipped 2013 Puma FTD and had no issues.

5. Member
    Without a jackplate it would be a problem. I have the 8 inch Atlas electric jp. That's stock on Cougars. I struggled until I found the right jp height for takeoff with full tanks. I have 4 batteries and 8 foot pp. If I have 2 heavy people, full tanks livewells etc, I raise jp somewhere above 3.5 and have trim down and I'm satisfied with my hole shot. I've never formally timed it but I'm satisfied with how I get on plane. But at the beginning when learning to drive this boat (I'm still learning) I didn't appreciate the differences that jp height made with things.

24 Fury 3, Baseline it and send it to Ronnie Gilbert to get it near perfect. I would not recommend extra vents, Ronnie will make it work great without them, You wont have any hole shot problem with this prop when Ronnie reworks it. Until it is reworked it will may hit the limiter a little, Try to get 5900 to 6000 rpm
    Thank You Leon Pugh

7. Member
    Put a 24" Fury 3 blade on there and if you had any hole shot issues they will be no more. Still run 75-77 mph on top end as well.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

I had a 2016 Cougar w/ 250 ProXS, Atlas plate, twin blades, 36v Fortrex, 2 guys fully loaded, 50gal gas and 25P Fury...no issuses. 26 Fury was slightly slower hole shot, still good though and 79mph on top end. You will be fine.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Thanks for the info guys!!
    Lowrance / Garmin

The boat hole shot can be greatly improved in several ways. Some sacrifice top end, while others do not and it depends upon your desired experience on what you choose. ALSO, some try to run a larger propeller than we suggest on their setups. This one we would start with a 25” Fury.

1) The most popular is a Ronnie Gilbert propeller modification with extra vent holes, and we only suggest this on a new propeller as sand bends them and gravel chips away efficiency.

2) Next is dropping an inch or two on the Fury Three Blade, and that in our opinion works very well, while matching top end on the lower option. It assists in hole shot, improves mid range efficiency and rough water handling.

3) The Fury Four Blade is an option for those who are willing to sacrifice another MPH+ and loose top end. The Hole Shot is impressive, the mid range substantial on keeping the bow up and the top end within reach of most competitive products.

Just last week we spoke to a good friend, who is a well known professional angler, and he runs a competitive brand boat and engine. We were speaking of how Mike Iaconelli runs mid 70’s, Britt Myers runs out around 80 and John Crews is somewhere in between on most of his rigs. He just accepts that he doesn’t run that fast and he hasn’t run over 70 MPH in five years with his tournament load and his set up.

Thus be sure your comparing boats with the top end of each brands potential. If Boat A your considering only runs 71-72 MPH, then don’t compare hole shot on Boat B which may be a 77-78 MPH rig. That’s unfair to you, the products and the sellers. Make sure your assessment is fair and adjust accordingly.

Many anglers won’t run nearly as fast going fishing as they want everyone to think they do empty. We find most BCB anglers running mid to upper 70’s with this setup, and the Power Poles do chip away on both ends, in the hole shot mostly and also top end.

We’ve had those setups that will give us that ultimate “Feel The Rush” experience loaded. And we’ve had those that give us the same feeling while being just in the mid to upper 70’s. Some are fine from lower 70’s to whatever and the propellers will help you achieve what you want in mid range and hole shot.

It sounds to us like you are interested in the lower hole shot and mid range more than the ultimate top end performance. Popping off the Power Poles will automatically improve hole shot, that is if you don’t use those. Any way you view it you can fix hole shot, though it is a sacrifice.

The choice is yours!

I have a 2017 Puma FTD -two blades, Ultrex, loaded to the gills with tackle and 4 batteries in the back.

Hole Les shot is acceptable with a 25 Fury 3 or 24 Fury 4

now last boat was a Pantera II with only 3 batteries.

The PII was a rocket ship out of the hole and I expected the same with my FTD, but it just not the fast out of the hole.

However -the boat is incredible and now that I know how to drive it I have no issues getting up on pad with full fuel tanks and live wells.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

12. Member
    Thank you BCB for the response! I would lean towards having the 4 blade you mentioned for big wind days on Champlain and the 3 blade you described for better hole shot and less top end for calmer days where I wanted some more speed. The powerpoles are worth the loss of top end for me. Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The boat hole shot can be greatly improved in several ways. Some sacrifice top end, while others do not and it depends upon your desired experience on what you choose. ALSO, some try to run a larger propeller than we suggest on their setups. This one we would start with a 25” Fury.

1) The most popular is a Ronnie Gilbert propeller modification with extra vent holes, and we only suggest this on a new propeller as sand bends them and gravel chips away efficiency.

2) Next is dropping an inch or two on the Fury Three Blade, and that in our opinion works very well, while matching top end on the lower option. It assists in hole shot, improves mid range efficiency and rough water handling.

3) The Fury Four Blade is an option for those who are willing to sacrifice another MPH+ and loose top end. The Hole Shot is impressive, the mid range substantial on keeping the bow up and the top end within reach of most competitive products.

Just last week we spoke to a good friend, who is a well known professional angler, and he runs a competitive brand boat and engine. We were speaking of how Mike Iaconelli runs mid 70’s, Britt Myers runs out around 80 and John Crews is somewhere in between on most of his rigs. He just accepts that he doesn’t run that fast and he hasn’t run over 70 MPH in five years with his tournament load and his set up.

Thus be sure your comparing boats with the top end of each brands potential. If Boat A your considering only runs 71-72 MPH, then don’t compare hole shot on Boat B which may be a 77-78 MPH rig. That’s unfair to you, the products and the sellers. Make sure your assessment is fair and adjust accordingly.

Many anglers won’t run nearly as fast going fishing as they want everyone to think they do empty. We find most BCB anglers running mid to upper 70’s with this setup, and the Power Poles do chip away on both ends, in the hole shot mostly and also top end.

We’ve had those setups that will give us that ultimate “Feel The Rush” experience loaded. And we’ve had those that give us the same feeling while being just in the mid to upper 70’s. Some are fine from lower 70’s to whatever and the propellers will help you achieve what you want in mid range and hole shot.

It sounds to us like you are interested in the lower hole shot and mid range more than the ultimate top end performance. Popping off the Power Poles will automatically improve hole shot, that is if you don’t use those. Any way you view it you can fix hole shot, though it is a sacrifice.

The choice is yours!
    Lowrance / Garmin

13. Member
    Update:
    I ended up buying the boat. I've decided to run it for a few months with no hydraulic jackplate or poles then add all lithiums once the hydraulic plate and poles go on. Will be interesting to test both setups. I can post results here if anyone is interested. First prop will be the 25P Fury 3 that came on the boat followed by the 4 blade.
    Lowrance / Garmin

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    I have a 2017 Puma FTD -two blades, Ultrex, loaded to the gills with tackle and 4 batteries in the back.

Hole Les shot is acceptable with a 25 Fury 3 or 24 Fury 4

now last boat was a Pantera II with only 3 batteries.

The PII was a rocket ship out of the hole and I expected the same with my FTD, but it just not the fast out of the hole.

However -the boat is incredible and now that I know how to drive it I have no issues getting up on pad with full fuel tanks and live wells.
    I just realized this was an older post and i have already commented, but since my comment i picked up a Fury 24 - 3

The 24 - 3 makes my boat a rocket ship out of the hole, but only run around 72. I am going to stay with the 25 for most situations and use the 24 3 or 4 blade as conditions warrant.

I'll definitely run it in the summer with my wife on board because she wont let me go over 50MPH anyway.

Enjoy the new rig
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

17 puma ftd, 10 gallons of fuel in each tank. Poles, 3 group 29's one 31 series cranking. 112 fortrex. I ran some 25/3 blades, and had one fury worked. Ended up going with fury 4 25p for best performance, it ran 75.5@5910. I obtained a 26/4 blade and had it worked but never got to test it, I know Phil Addison was getting 79 with a 26/4. Heres a video link to my hole shot. Id say its sub 4 seconds. more like a 3 second hole shot.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"