Banned

Light scratches on cowling...

SN- 2B400575 Shouldn't make a difference but, I'm a by the book kinda guy...

What's everyone using to remove light scratches on their Mercury cowlings???... Dan

2500 grit wet sanding and a buffer to polish it up
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    tuffskinz,protects the cover and paint.remove it and it looks like new.fish with it on,run with it on dosen't matter.$250.00.

4. Member
    Please describe scratch. Is it a light scuff or something that penetrated the surface? Always start with the least aggressive option, I'd buff first, then, if needed consider wet sanding and for that I'd start even finer than 2500.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury COWL FINISHING COMPOUND. Hands-down the best for this application (severe scratches may require tradition methods and then follow up with Cowl Finishing Compound).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    SN- 2B400575 Shouldn't make a difference but, I'm a by the book kinda guy...

What's everyone using to remove light scratches on their Mercury cowlings???... Dan
    Dan,
    Going by what you wrote, 'light scratches' can be from swirl marks from improper cleaning to lure hooks run across the cowling from co-angler being a bit inapt, so here is a procedure for show car detailing.
    3 microfiber clothes, Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compound, Show Car Glace, Quik Detailer.
    Completely rinse cowling and move boat in shade or indoors. Use one of the microfiber fold it, lightly spray little Quik Detailer on it, and for little heavier scratches put a few dabs of rubbing compound and work the area in circular motion and may need to repeat until you are pleased with result. Use damp microfiber to wipe down, and use other side of damp microfiber to apply a light coating of Show Car Glace to the entire cowl in circular motion. Fold microfiber inside out spray a little Quik Detailer on it and wipe it down. Repeat with Show Car Glace if any swirl marks visible, and same procedure to wipe it down. Apply a good spray coating of Quik Detailer, wipe it down, and finish with a clean microfiber lightly damp with Quik Detailer.
    BTW, you can use the above procedure to do the entire boat and motor after it has been properly washed with great results, and DO NOT use any dry cloth of anything to wipe your motor and boat down.

Dan .... need best pics possible before good usable info can be given. Some customers tell me they have light scratches and they can’t be sanded out and others say they have bad scratches and they can be removed with a DA and final stage polish for black paint.....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

^^^^^^Great points
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Banned
    I can barely feel the scratches when I run my fingers over them, but they won't wipe off when I clean the water spots off with a damp towel... I'll try to get some pictures in the near future... Dan

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Dan .... need best pics possible before good usable info can be given. Some customers tell me they have light scratches and they can’t be sanded out and others say they have bad scratches and they can be removed with a DA and final stage polish for black paint.....
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

If you can’t can’t post them just text to 919-631-2019.....I’ll be glad to help. I need a bass boat fix all Ive been working on lately are wake boats.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    If you can’t can’t post them just text to 919-631-2019.....I’ll be glad to help. I need a bass boat fix all Ive been working on lately are wake boats.
    Looking forward in seeing those pictures posted, so we can all see what ' light scratches' look like, and as a reference in the future.

13. Member
    Meguiars ScratchX
    Last edited by greg88; 11-22-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    Meguiars SratchX
    ^^^^^
    Good stuff 2. Used it with good results.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Mercury COWL FINISHING COMPOUND. Hands-down the best for this application (severe scratches may require tradition methods and then follow up with Cowl Finishing Compound).
    This product is very good. I'm very picky about my cowling and it works great.

16. Banned
    I could never get a good enough picture to show the scratches. I went and bought the Mercury compound and it worked like a charm... Thanks guys... Dan

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor