99 Tracker PT 185 restoration...... HELP...please

Hello all i posted this in the tracker page as well, but thought it might get more traffic here.

I recently bought a 99 Tracker pro team 185 with a 90 hp merc to use on the lake that i live on. I bought it from a terminally ill friend who has since passed away. Just now getting around to the restoration. Had my mechanic go thru the motor, clean carbs, service, change plugs/fluids, drain tank etc. and it is running great.

The boat was stored outside under some oak trees with no cover for the last several years, so as you can imagine it is pretty much a mess some of the carpet is gone, whats not gone is in really rough shape so i've been pulling it out, and have discovered that each individual part of the interior was carpeted before assembly!!! Also the floor of the boat is rotten in several places so my original plan was to replace the floor, and front deck, then go back with non skid paint since it will be left in the lake out in the weather for long periods of time.

Ive got the front deck out, and all the hatches up front removed, now i'm trying to figure out how to get the two rod boxes out and the big storage box with plastic liner out?!?! I have all the screws/rivets out that i can find and its still not budging? I need these out to replace the floor of the rod boxes...they are rotten. Any help with that part is very much appreciated.

Assuming I figure out how to get those out, I am hoping there is enough wiggle room to slide the floor out with out completely removing the console

its a neat little boat, but it seems they could have made it easier for the consumer to work on down the road!! AT this point, i am considering finding a shop near me to do the work i am in the central Florida area. I just feel like i mayhave bit off way more than I want to chew on this project lol, anyone who has restored one of these, specifically replacing the floor if you have any insight or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. In fact i am considering using something other than marine grade plywood so that I never have to do this again? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I suggest you post this on the boat restoration forum, those guys are just amazing. Even though most work on glass boats I think you might get some assistance there. BTW, if you take marine or just exterior-grade plywood and put 3-4 coats of marine varnish on it the result will last for a very very long time. Good luck with the project, hope it all works out for you.

Well duh, I see you did post in the restoration forum.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

3. Member
    Never done it..but..I'd take a router and use a 1/4 inch straight bit. Cut the floor into sections with the router. A number of smaller pieces will come out easier than one large one. Once you get one chunk out, the rest should come out quicker.

Thank you guys for the advice, I'm just going to take my time, and do it right...was hoping to have it in the water by Christmas. May have to push my timeline back.

I have replaced wooden decks on two boats. It was not as hard as it was time consuming and awkward to do. This is one reason I have said here many times.....a wooden floor or deck on a boat is a deal breaker for me.

That said, you already have the boat and partially disassembled and in your position I would keep moving forward. It will make you a good boat when you get finished. I cannot picture what your particular issue is, but I can tell you one thing - an oscillating tool is worth its weight in gold when doing this. They make a lot of attachments and blades for cutting wood and metal and it is easy to get in tight places. It will cut and punch through wood like a hot knife through butter with a good blade. If you dont have one, go get one.

I have two other suggestions. Talk to Glenn over at the Tracker board. He took one apart and did a nice looking job. I also believe he took the smart route and got rid of the wood when he rebuilt it. I redecked the ones I did with wood though. My second offer is to PM me and I will give you my email. You can take pictures with your phone and email me what you need and if I can help I will. It is just too much to do here with posts. But I would cut, unscrew, unbolt, and pull every spec of wood out.get it down to bare aluminum. The flotation will probably have to be replaced. Their flotation absorbs water. Get it to bare aluminum. You have to get determined and just keep at it. You can't hire it out because the boat is not worth the money it would cost. Buy an oscillating tool....a good one and lots of name brand good attachments. Much easier with one.

As an added note.... you asked about the console. Get it out of the way. On both boats I did, I did not completely detach the console wiring and cables and all that junk under there. I unscrewed the console and rigged a way get it up over the side and support its weight outside of the gunnel. You need it out of the way.
    Last edited by Panama; 11-23-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA