decreased rod sensitivity?

This may sound like a weird question but do rods loose their sensitivity after catching hundreds or thousands of fish on them due to the modulus breaking down everytime the hook is set? I was talking to someone who got Loomis rods at a discount and he claimed that after a season guys sell their rods because used rods loose their crispness and sensitivity. I’m in the market to by a high end jig rod but would rather buy used to save a few dollars, just don’t want to spend half the money and get a rod that doesn’t perform like it should. Thx

2. Banned
    not sure about loosing their sensitivity, but I'll bet they loose a little of their "action" & "power"

I doubt there have been any scientific studies on the subject, but I have some pretty old, high end rods that still feel and fish like they did when they were new. I wouldn't think that there is much degradation over time...

Interesting subject....i know i have a few older loomis bcr glxs that still feel unbelievable that have been well used..

5. Member
    They don't change. If there was degradation like your thinking the rod would snap immediately.

I would guess there is, but unlikely it would be noticeable difference

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I doubt there have been any scientific studies on the subject, but I have some pretty old, high end rods that still feel and fish like they did when they were new. I wouldn't think that there is much degradation over time...

Same here. Several GLoomis blanks that I built in 1988 and I can assure you that they have caught 10,000s of fish and made 100,000s of casts. Still feel the same as they always did.

8. Member
    Thx guys for responses feel better about purchasing used.

9. Banned
    Even if it does, it’s going to be on such a minuscule scale that you will never know.

I feel like you'd see rods develop permanent bends in the blanks if they were losing their responsiveness or ability to "spring back." I've never seen that, except maybe in the case of fiberglass that's been leaned up against a wall...even then, it straightens out if bent the other way.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Yes, rods can develop micro fractures from repeated flexing, load bearing, impacts, and other forces. These fractures do change the rod over time.

There have been loads of engineering studies related to long term carbon composites use. Primarily driven by other industries - aerospace, automotive - and not by sport fishing.

It's not only the carbon fiber, but also the resin systems (that hold the carbon together - 30-35% of the rod blank composition) and their response to stress/strain.

(Yeah I can nerd out when needed.)

12. Member
    I still throw a spinnerbait rod (Old original All Star) that is still as good a rod as it was about 25 yrs ago . lol
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

13. Member
    I have some 10 and 15 yr old rods that have made $1,000,000’s of cast and caught dozens of bass and still feel as good as they did when new.

14. Member
    I got a shimano carbomax when I was younger and after a couple years of fishing with it, I could tell as could a busy that it got alot more whippy. Went from a medium action to a great drop shot rod.

15. Member
    If anything causes a degeneration in sensitivity or in the action itself, it will be the sun baking them over the years while fishing or laying on the deck. .
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I'm with Bronzefly on this one. I guess eyes and such can be damanged and make the rod less smooth but I generally don't see a difference in my 20 year old rods.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

All rods get more limber, and lose some of their action, as they age. I haven’t noticed a loss in sensitivity though.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"