Opinions on a Hydraulic Steering Kit

Hello, am looking to install a hydraulic steering system on my 175HP Johnson Outboard and found one on Ebay that isn't as pricey as seastar pro kit, so was wondering if anyone tried these, will attach a photo.Screenshot_20191119-085118_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20191119-085111_eBay.jpg

2. Member
    I wouldn't buy it unless you do a product research. Nice thing about seastar you can speak to someone and they're knowledgeable. NO regrets withe seastar I installed 5 years ago.

3. Member
    Steering is one thing i'm not going cheap on. Wouldn't want a failure at 65MPH

As the old saying goes...you get what you pay for!

The definition of a bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist. Just something to keep in mind.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

5. Member
    If you look on all the major brands of boats they have Seastar for a reason. I would pay a little extra
    for peace of mind. You will not have another boat without hydraulic steering. Good luck.

I have UFLEX SilverSteer on mine. More robust than Seastar, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I have UFLEX SilverSteer on mine. More robust than Seastar, IMHO
    I converted to Uflex as well, I have zero intrest in seastar now
    Unless SeaStar does a complete redesign, Uflex will drive them under in a few years. Mercury now sells Uflex in there parts line, why do you think they chose Uflex over seastar. You dont see anyone using Uflex converting to seastar. Its all seastar to Uflex.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    The made in china label is enough to keep me from buying one.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

UFlex USA

10. ZO6
    I've used Seastar on present boat for 14 years. I did replace the cylinder on the engine and fluid in the system about 3 years ago when I repowered from a Mercury 250 XS to the Yamaha SHO. It's been a safe, positive investment. I'm sure u flex is also a good system.
    Any boat capable of running high speeds 50,60,70,80, should have a safe, premium connection. On the water business happens very quickly when you pass 60 mph. JMHO

11. Member
    some of the major less expensive brands have chose it because u flex is cheaper.

I've used SeaStar for over 40 years, nothing wrong with it. But UFlex, IMHO, is a better built & stronger system. According to Don Weed at European Marine it is a better system also. Don Weed is probably the best Mercury mechanic in the Southeast at least. If he recommends it for the Mercury 250 4 stroke, that's good enough for me.