New to powder painting questions

I've gotten into powder painting my own bass jigs during the last month and I think I've got all the equipment that I need but I'm having a few learning curve problems. Hopefully some of you gentlemen can help me out with a few issues I'm having.

To start, here's my setup that I have.

Toaster oven with adjustable temperature and timer
    Heat gun adjustable from 750-1000*
    Drying rack for hanging jigs
    2" fluid bed and a few extra cups
    Assorted Pro-Tec powders
    Screwdriver for clearing weedguard holes
    Pliers for holding hot jigs
    Jig eye cleaning punch

And here's a few issues I'm having.

1. Some of my jigs that I powder coat come out a little coarse looking, almost like a matte finish. While others come out shiny (using the same paint). I'm guessing this is just an issue of the temperature of my lead. Is this correct to assume?

2. Some of my jigs look super shiny after dipping them in the fluid bed. Almost like they're polished but with little/no powder paint on them. Does this mean my jig is too hot? I've only had this issue on one particular color of my paints (Rootbeer flake).

3. I've been letting my jigs dry overnight after painting them, and then curing them in the toaster oven the next day. Is this enough time to let them dry after painting?

4. I've been curing my painted jigs at 325-350* for 15-20 minutes and they're coming out tough as nails. The one issue I'm having though is about half of my jigs end up dripping down and covering up the eyelet during the process, which is a b**** to remove. How do I prevent this from happening? And is there an easy method to clearing a clogged eye? I have been taking a utility knife blade and poking the eyelet to create a small hole, and then chipping out the rest of the eye with the jig eye punch.

5. Occasionally I am getting a jig that totally fills in (or even swells up over) the weedguard hole. This makes it difficult for me to actually tell where the hole is located in order to drill it out before gluing in the weedguard. Are there any tips/tricks to prevent this?

Hopefully you guys are able to help me figure a few of these things out. Thanks in advance.

There's no need to let jigs dry after powder coating them. They can go straight into the oven once you have them coated.

As far as the weedguard holes, buy yourself some teflon pins. Pour your jigs with them in place, powder paint them with them in place and cure them with them in place.

I usually clean the paint off the eyes with a wire brush in my dremel after painting and before curing. If any gets in the eye during curing it's very little and easily removed.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    I think the big thing is getting consistent heated jig head. Sounds like yours vary widely. When the paint is matte finish there was too little heat you can hit it again with the heat gun and it should gloss up, might have to re dip also for better coverage. The ones that drip while curing have been heated too much and have excess paint on them. I use a propane torch to heat mine before dipping them in the powder. If you watch the jig closely it will look like it has fog or frost on it then clear off, after it clears I give it about another second and the jig seems to be the right temperature. For a 1/2oz jig it is usually about 4 total seconds on low heat. I have friend who will put his in the toaster over to heat them and then dip them. Put the jigs in on 350 for 15 - 20 min then pull them out 1 at a time with pliers to dip them and right back in the over to bake/cure the paint.

4. Member
    1.. Yes on the temp. If not hot enough the powder wont stick to it. The hotter the metal is the more material will adhere to the lead. Too hot and you will fill the hook eye.
    2. Not hot enough. No problem, just heat some more and re-dip.
    3. No drying time involved. As soon as you can pick them up out of the oven your good to go.
    4. Too much paint applied and hanging the hook by the bend. Best if the lead is above the hook. Teflon pins will stop the weed guard hole from filling. An aluminum strip of 1" angle and attaching alligator clips to the angle works well. This way you clip the bend of the hook and the lead is above. If any paint runs its down the shank of the hook.
    5. Too hot making too much powder adhere to the lead.
    For small projects an alcohol lamp has always worked very well. One/two second on each side of the jig is about all that needs to be in the flame. Denatured alcohol is what you use, and sometimes you might have to prime the tip of the wick.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. I think part of my inconsistency issue comes from being new and bouncing around between 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2oz sizes, so each jig needs a different amount of heat to get to temperature.

I will look out for those teflon pins. Looks like LPO has them, so I'll grab some next time I order.
    Last edited by fishballer06; 11-19-2019 at 11:31 AM.

6. Member
    About painting the jigs, try this, (holding the jig with needle nosed pliers covering the hook eye heat the head for a precise time). I count 1 1000, 2 1000, etc. dip the jig if it covers and is dull looking hang it in the oven, repeat. If it is shiny reduce your count on the next one. By doing it that way you won’t over paint the heads but will have a good coat. Also this method will keep the eye free of paint and the paint won’t run.

Quote Originally Posted by fishballer06 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I think part of my inconsistency issue comes from being new and bouncing around between 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2oz sizes, so each jig needs a different amount of heat to get to temperature.

I will look out for those teflon pins. Looks like LPO has them, so I'll grab some next time I order.
    Use the stopwatch on your phone and record the time it takes to do a perfect coat of paint.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

What I do to remedy the paint getting in the eye is to find a piece of an old hook or a nail that barely slides through the hook eye and as soon as I pp the head I run that through the hook eye. Another thing I do is take play-doh...yes play-doh and put a dab around the hook eye. Heat, paint, and the play-doh will crumble away leaving an hook eye with 0 paint. I also made a jig head holder out of 2 pieces of aluminum angle iron, drilled holes for the wing nuts and bolts, lined the insides with high temp silicone and I use that to cure my heads. I will take a pic and post it shortly. Hope all this babble helps.20191119_145618.jpg20191119_145628.jpg20191119_145823.jpg20191119_145827.jpg
    Last edited by Bassin Dude 365; 11-19-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

9. Member
    All great advice, i would add, i have been doing this for years and i would not bother any paint in the eye hole UNLESS its completely closed. You will damage the interior part of the line tie more times than not, but I have never had a breakage while tying directly to a jig with a light paint coat on the line tie. I learned this the hard way, several years ago i made 100 jigs for me and some buddies and we had a lot of break off issues. We finally figured out the issue and it was the line breaking from rubbing against the rough and scratchy inside of the line tie. Just something to consider.
    The teflon pins are a must, and the alcohol lamp will keep you from going crazy over that noisy heat gun, but it will get the job done for sure.

10. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I did a few more baits up tonight and they turned out much better with your recommendations. I used my heat gun on the highest setting, left the bait in the heat less, and then after I powder coated, I hung the baits in the oven with some paper clips by the eyelet. 20 minutes and like magic, I had some perfect looking baits.

I also ordered some Teflon pins. You guys have been a big help.

11. Member
    You are welcome.

12. Banned
    FB_IMG_1574933038590.jpg
    FB_IMG_1574932985694.jpg
    FB_IMG_1574932897622.jpg
    FB_IMG_1574933222091.jpg

I custom powdercoat all my jig heads
    Using a bernz0matic torch
    Most of my jig heads have between 2 to 5 color per one heat application I fire my jigs in a large gas over with built in fans too push the hot air around throughout the oven which cause swirl pattern over the jig heads. Every jig head come out with a different swirl pattern. There put in the oven at 350 degree's for 30 minutes and allowed to cool doors open in the oven for 30 before removing.