Thread: Is it just me?

Is it just me?

Orrrrr.... have others come to the same conclusion that the Lowrance "Fish Reveal" is little more than the current version of yesteryear's "Fish ID". After multiple trips on the water looking at green fish arches everywhere but not getting bit I've started flipping FishReveal off. And wa'la.... I see no fish. Then when I do see fish, without Fish Reveal, I mark and cast to'em and in multiple instance actually either get bit or catch the fish. I don't know about everyone else but I'm pretty much done with the Fish Reveal fantasy!

I like fish reveal. I can see structure and fish on one screen which frees up space on my unit. It needs to be set up correctly just like anything else. Its advantages are that you see bottom structure along with 2d sonar fish. The overlay is nothing more than your 2d sonar. If the 2d has the sensitivity turned up too high you will see junk just as you would on regular 2d.
    Sometimes the bottom will have a solid line above it. This is the difference in the setup of the 2d and structure module or the difference in the cone angle of each sonar. If you understand this, you will be able to interpret the images better.

3. Member
    Sounds like you should adjust sensitivity for FR down a few steps. It is by default to high for my liking (as is the auto-setting on normal 2D, I always turn that down 2-8 steps as well).

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I like fish reveal. I can see structure and fish on one screen which frees up space on my unit. It needs to be set up correctly just like anything else. Its advantages are that you see bottom structure along with 2d sonar fish. The overlay is nothing more than your 2d sonar. If the 2d has the sensitivity turned up too high you will see junk just as you would on regular 2d.
    Sometimes the bottom will have a solid line above it. This is the difference in the setup of the 2d and structure module or the difference in the cone angle of each sonar. If you understand this, you will be able to interpret the images better.

Yeah.... freeing up the 2D screen was what got me all excited when Fish Reveal was released. I'm not worried about the solid line on the bottom that appears sometimes. Easy enough to ignore it. I will say my 2D screen tends not to have the multiple arc's that Fish Reveal displays - or at least it doesn't seem that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Sounds like you should adjust sensitivity for FR down a few steps. It is by default to high for my liking (as is the auto-setting on normal 2D, I always turn that down 2-8 steps as well).
    Yup... I'll work on that sensitivity thingee - folks been telling me I'm too thin skinned....

5. Member
    I have toyed w/ the fish reveal on and off...my big issue is the bottom line clutter...which I have mostly remedied with the install of my TM150 right next to the SS3D ducer on my transom...but still gets me when there is a large bottom fluctuation.
    I can't just ignore it because I fish bottom hugging Walleye, primarily, so kind of need a real good image of the deepest 2ft of the H2O column.

Net, I see it having its use, I use it sometimes and don't others...I do think it is better than Fish ID -- assuming you know how to read a 2d Sonar.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

The elevated bottom is what you would see on 2d without the downscan. It is generally a false bottom of what's below the boat because the transducer cone angle is picking the highest object in the cone and using it as the bottom. You would not be seeing the actual bottom below the boat without downscan. Do not get hung up on the line. It is extremely useful. Fishton explains cone angle very well. Check out his stuff along with some others for an explanation.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    The elevated bottom is what you would see on 2d without the downscan. It is generally a false bottom of what's below the boat because the transducer cone angle is picking the highest object in the cone and using it as the bottom. You would not be seeing the actual bottom below the boat without downscan. Do not get hung up on the line. It is extremely useful. Fishton explains cone angle very well. Check out his stuff along with some others for an explanation.
    I completely understand the issue, but, when you are looking for bottom fish, and the "false line" covers the return on the DS, then it is not too useful...so, yes, sometimes it is a problem, sometimes it is a tool.

Like sonar in general, the more you understand how it works and what it is telling you, the more useful the features and tools are.

8. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    You can eliminate the false line by switching to the 3n1 transducer. The 2D element being in the same body eliminates the timing differences and the like magic, the bottom line is completely gone... I for one prefer the 3N1 over the 3D anyway and I also agree the sensitivity is defaulted too high on FR. Otherwise a pretty useful tool for open water species...not so much for brush-pile hugging ambush predators like largemouth...

Roy

9. Member
    Sorry, but that is not correct. The 2D-bottom will still be there with 3 in 1 as the difference between bottom read by 2D and DownScan varies due to different cones.

10. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Not to disagree but I can eliminate the "line" completely on my installation when using the 3n1 as the 2D source as well. Using the in-hull, produces the line 100% of the time. I understand your point but that is indeed not the case in practice... We have MANY (over 100 or so...) installations that exhibit this.

11. Member
    Not giving up the range in my SS3D sidescan for AI.... nothing I’ve seen would make me think 3 in 1 is an improvement over the SS3D. I’ve ensured that I have a 2D source as close as possible to my DS source by mounting my TM 150 right next to my SS3D, and most of the time the bottom line is gone...unless I’m fishing in steep terrain...

Net, I know when to use it and when not to. Generally, for most of my Walleye fishing, I leave it off, and Run a 3 pane screen with 2D, DS, and SS all on the screen at the same time.

12. Member
    For me.... I seldom get the line. Like almost never. Like MJ3 my TM185HW is mounted within inches of the 3D transducer. I tried the 2-in-1 transducer w/Carbon and got pretty poor results. Granted I wasn't spending a lot of time trying to dial it it. In fact.... That 2-in-1 was on my boat for a day to test with. I still have it(now back in box) if anyone is interested in it. Make ya' a heck of a deal on it.

100_2937 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    For me.... I seldom get the line. Like almost never. Like MJ3 my TM185HW is mounted within inches of the 3D transducer. I tried the 2-in-1 transducer w/Carbon and got pretty poor results. Granted I wasn't spending a lot of time trying to dial it it. In fact.... That 2-in-1 was on my boat for a day to test with. I still have it(now back in box) if anyone is interested in it. Make ya' a heck of a deal on it.

100_2937 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

What kind of deal on the 2n1? Pm me

Thanks

Steve