Trouble seeing bait fish

Everybody says "find the bait.... find the fish".... Can anyone see any bait fish in the following images???? This is with a Carbon .133 and a 3D tansducer .123

Screenshot_2019-11-16_07.43.33 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

Screenshot_2019-11-14_07.35.09 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

Screenshot_2019-11-14_07.58.31 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

Screenshot_2019-11-14_10.34.57 by Doug Wei, on Flickr
    Last edited by yupitsme; 11-19-2019 at 08:19 AM.

2. Member
    Hey Yup! Looks like you go that thing dialed in a bit better since your last posts...

So, in the last image, definitely is bait right next to the tree, and again a bit further, just coming into the image on the right...
    I'd have a bit better time identifying it in the other images if there was an accompanying 2d to go with these.

Might say that there appears to be clouds of bait around the weeds in the other images too...but could be leaves of the weeds too...or leaves with bait around it...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    I wuz kinna tongue n' cheekin' it with that "can't see any bait fish...." comment. Pretty sure everything that looks like bait fish - is bait fish. There's no weeds/grass on Toledo Bend to speak of at this time.

May be the only sidescan I have....

Screenshot_2019-11-14_07.58.19 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

Got this one of a roadbed..... but there ain't no bait fish present.

Screenshot_2019-11-15_07.18.14 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    I wuz kinna tongue n' cheekin' it with that "can't see any bait fish...." comment. Pretty sure everything that looks like bait fish - is bait fish. There's no weeds/grass on Toledo Bend to speak of at this time.

May be the only sidescan I have....
    LOL, was kind of thinking that...but I have seen a big pile of weeds that are pretty dense present like that...saw some vertical stalks, was wondering...but yea, you found enough we could start a bait shop if we had a good sane.

Your sidescan looks pretty good too...Did you mess w/ any other pallets?

5. Banned
    Is this the same setup that you used to have trouble with?

6. Member
    Yes sir.... that would be correct.

7. Banned
    Yes sir.... that would be correct.

I don’t what cured it, but the SI pic is pretty damn impressive!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I don’t what cured it, but the SI pic is pretty damn impressive!
    I figure it was some of this n' some of that that cured it. #1 Lake was flooding and water was pretty nasty. Now it's stable at 165' and has been for 4-5 months. #2 Water temp has dropped close to 30 degrees. Bad images in 91 degree water. Good images in 61 degree water. #3 Electronics totally isolated w/larger capacity and twisted cables to isolated fuse block. #4 Ferrite chokes/filters on each piece of equipment and power cables prior to attaching to fuse block.

I do know that for the first time in several years I was able to see fish, mark'em with a way point then set up and cast to'em and either git bit or catch'em. Now... that was with Fish Reveal turned off. I was pretty disappointed with the Fish Reveal results but as y'all probably know it's been recommended that I dial back some of the settings to eliminate excessive fish arches when Fish Reveal is enabled.

Unfortunately the two side scan images I posted were the only ones I captured. The ones I posted are good but on the lake real time scanning some of them were simply phenomenal.

MJ3... I did not mess with any other pallets but should'a. Right now my fuel rails and injectors are on their way to Florida. Hopefully they'll be back in time for my next tournament in December. At that time I plan on seeing how my #8(Red/yellow) pallet looks. That will be a definitive test as it seems that pallet demands the best images.
    Last edited by yupitsme; 11-20-2019 at 05:46 AM.

9. Member
    Found a few more SI captures.... Check out the range on some of these... I could'a bumped the contrast up/down on some of them to make them even better. I will say the real time images viewed on the Carbon are better than what is displayed here after posting on images on Flicker.

Screenshot_2019-11-13_09.54.53 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

Screenshot_2019-11-14_08.13.09 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

Screenshot_2019-11-15_07.21.44 by Doug Wei, on Flickr

10. Member
    I am so glad you got this dialed in...those are the results I get with mine all the time...and it is a very useful tool...

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Those are amazing images! I’d love to have that kind of clarity!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Those are amazing images! I’d love to have that kind of clarity!
    Took a bit of tinkerin' to get there. Some things worked(twisted 8 gauge from battery to isolated fuse block w/ferrite choke). Somethings didn't work. Tried dropping the transducer 3" to eliminate jack plate echo. That didn't work. 3" low put it so that it interfered with the water flow to the prop and water pickup. Speed dropped from 75 to 60. Water pressure dropped from 25 to 8-10 @ WOT - not good! I'm gonna do some adjusting on 2D and Fish Reveal sensitivity and see if I can get that working reliably. Right now only when I see fish on the down scan w/o Fish Reveal do I bother markin' and fishing.

I couldn't be like MJ3 and install 19.1 have stellar results with the same hardware I have. As far as I know he is the only person on planet earth that has gotten 19.1 to work well with Carbon/3D.

13. Member
    I couldn't be like MJ3 and install 19.1 have stellar results with the same hardware I have. As far as I know he is the only person on planet earth that has gotten 19.1 to work well with Carbon/3D.
    I am guessing there are others, they are just fishin' and not postin' We get lots of time to post here in MN, cause the water gets kind of hard, this time of year...and I am not talking about mineral content...

For those of you reading this, who haven't seen the images Yup References, find my thread from June 19 in this exact forum...and be sure to hit the link for the full size images, cause PhotoBucket blurred them out...still grinning ear to ear that Yup finally got images on par...after what he went through, he deserves it.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 11-21-2019 at 09:28 AM.

This is just crazy what you have done here YUP. Just sitting here shaking my head looking at these images and remembering comment/images from before. Awesome job. Persistance pays off!!

yup, where all did you place the Ferrite chokes? Ethernet connections and power connections? Just one-side or at both ends? For the price I would love to try the chokes and see if it doesn't clean up mine as well.

Congratz on getting it dialed in, I know that feeling working through issues on a boat... Always reminds me of Tom Hanks in Cast away building a fire... "I am all that is man!"
    ~ JG

DD214 Alumni - July 2022 -

16. Member
    I put the chokes on each point where power(positive) entered the device.

1.) @ cable from battery just prior to fuse block connection.
    2.) @ cable from fuse block prior to connection at two Carbon MFD’s(I did not put choke on bow MFD)
    3.) @ cable from fuse block prior to 3D module.

I also twisted the 8 gauge power cables and put them in heat shrink tubing between the battery and the Blue Seas fuse block.

I also separated each 12v lead at the battery and put them on their own fuse/post using a Blue Seas battery terminal fuse block.

I also separated all 12v negative leads at the battery using a Blue Seas 6 post terminal block.

I also re-routed all electronics leads, including multiple sonar cables, such that there was no/minimal contact with other boat wiring/engine harness.

I suspect every action I took helped some. And some more than others.

Nice! I appreciate it greatly... Completely understand try everything method and cumlative math wins out, either by a single solution in the mix, or combined power of frustration and determination. Tight lines and thanks again.
    ~ JG

18. Member
    I’m leaning towards that “...combined power of frustration and determination...” thingee!

~ JG

20. Member
    Great Images...Yup...Glad you got it worked out.