Denny Brauer Structure Jig

Been using this jig for long time and have bragged how it never gets hung up. Now it seems like they hang up on everything. Is it me or have they changed the weed guard or hook angel. Just wondering.

I threw them a bunch for the last 3 year, cause they don't snag as much in rock and handle grass and wood. Seems like I don't lose em. I guess I throw the 3/8 oz baby with a lighter hook/guard more than the 1/2. I use my lure retriever when I am hung up.

3. Dogfish_Jones
    I've used them and find they are pretty good at not getting hung up. i just wish I could get them to hang up a lot more on the lips of a bass. I've got to learn to be a better jig fisherman. I know I am missing out on some lunkers...but it's hard to stop throwing finesse rigs now like the Ned Rig and Drop Shots.

4. Member
    "but it's hard to stop throwing finesse rigs now like the Ned Rig and Drop Shots." LMAO, I hope that statement was meant to be funny, cause i am rolling.

5. Dogfish_Jones
    Nope, not funny. I usually never have problems catching fish on those two setups. Jigs on the other hand, I can fish them all day without a bit. I'll go back to the same spot with a finesse type setup and catch some. That's why I wrote I need to practice or really make myself a better jig fisherman. I know they can catch some big bass. Mind you the Ned Rig and Drop Shot can fill your live well up fast with a lot of 2 to 4 pounders which at times can can allow me to take money home from a tournament.
    You ever try fishing finesse setups?

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Big Bait Byrd View Post
    Been using this jig for long time and have bragged how it never gets hung up. Now it seems like they hang up on everything. Is it me or have they changed the weed guard or hook angel. Just wondering.

Have You ever tried a 'free swinging jig' e.g. StrikeKing™ Swinging Swimming Jig?

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stri...ge-SJTGSS.html

7. Member
    I fish them all of the time. My last batch was early last year and I haven't noticed a difference in hang ups. I love the head shape and how well they can swim as well as fish on the bottom. They are a buck or two too expensive but that's not a big deal.

As are as finesse vs regular jigs, it's like anything else you don't have confidence in. You just need to increase the time you fish them, even gradually if you don't want to go cold turkey. I need to do that with chatter baits next year.
    Last edited by johnnybass; 11-25-2019 at 12:35 PM.

8. Member
    Thanks fellas. LewStuplePH.D I have not tried them , they look good, but I am a blue craw man and dont see that color in those, but could swap some skirts.
    I was like Dogfish as well, never used a jig just drop shot and you get dependent on it and you get to where you only do it. Once I got on a jig bite I never went back. I started drop shotting back in the 90's in CA and got good at it and had many good fish, but the jig really catches big ones in April back here in OK and I just never drop shot anymore. Indian out.

9. Dogfish_Jones
    I try to find one bait or lure to be my new bait every year and i try to get better at it. It seems to work as I have expanded my arsenal every year. I use to be an only crankbait guy years ago, then CR and Texas rig was added, then many other things. Last year was the year I was determined to fish Chatterbaits with some success. I finally found myself catching fish on them and got to where I gained enough confidence in them to add them to my rotation.
    This coming year I think I will zero in on jigs, I just need to leave my other stuff alone long enough to get some nice bass caught on jigs. Really , I think this is just another part of fishing I do enjoy, learning to catch fish with other baits and and find new places that fish are holding on the lakes I usually fish throughout the year.

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I do like the Denny Brauer jig, but when I’m in the pits it’s 100% flipping in wood and I haven’t found a jig that won’t hang up! When the Tackle gets cranked up to 65-80lb braid and a broomstick...I seem to hang up a lot more than when I’m fishing a lighter set up. Heavier jigs hang up more on me so I rarely go above 1/2oz.

Jig fishing is fun and theres nothing like feeling that thump! I also think the season has an impact on the hang ups. In the spring and summer I get hung up less. Not sure if it’s because our vegetation is starting to die off for the winter but I’m getting stuck a lot more now than 2 months ago.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Those are pretty good jigs. I still have a few. Lots of rocks where I fish. I found the dirty jigs and really like those. Kinda pricey but I refuse to buy jigs with the skirt attached with the rubber band. Lots of great colors and the head shape is great for getting thru cover.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dirt...e-DJHPFLJ.html
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

12. Member
    Have you weighed them on a scale. Most of the companies use the cheapest lead with a lot of impurities. Thus it wont weigh what the package says it is. Could be a possibility that the ones you are hanging up actually weighs more than the others you were throwing..

13. Member
    One odd thing with the structure jigs is the difference between the baby 3/8 and the 1/2. One seems like half the size of he other.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Those are pretty good jigs. I still have a few. Lots of rocks where I fish. I found the dirty jigs and really like those. Kinda pricey but I refuse to buy jigs with the skirt attached with the rubber band. Lots of great colors and the head shape is great for getting thru cover.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dirt...e-DJHPFLJ.html
    I have a mold that makes the same head. Best all around jigheads I have ever used.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    I have a mold that makes the same head. Best all around jigheads I have ever used.

Allen
    Ohh wow. Nice.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

16. Member
    20190813_182127.jpg20190813_182127.jpg

Black and purple with a matching trailer.

Allen

17. Scraps
    Just saw a LakeForkGuide live where he was explaining why his sponsors 6th Sense jigs work so well in brush. Claims it's the fact that the jighead is wider than it is tall. Def looks like this structure jig is built that way.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD