Correct service manual for ‘04 Optimax

Have some cooling issues after running 4-5 hours yesterday. Have a ‘04 Optimax 175hp serial# OT922039 on a Sea Pro 206CC. Heard a 2-3 beep alarm running off plan around 2200 rpm and saw 167degree in 68degree water. Slowed down and temp dropped to around 130, took it up on plane to around 3800 rpm and came down to 115degrees. Did the same thing about an hour later basically at trolling speed around 2400 and hit 171degrees, came back down on plane to 121. I need the correct service Manual for my year of engine so I can replace water pump and check on the thermostats. Been lurking here for a couple months since buying the boat, a lot of great info here and thanks for any help.

2. Member
    When was the water pump last replaced? Service interval is annual or 100hrs whichever comes first. Anytime you have cooling problems, best to start at the source - the water pump. Make certain the impeller, plate and all 3 gaskets (one either side of the plate and one below pump base) are replaced at same time.

If water pump hasn't been serviced within 12 months, that's first thing I'd do.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

The correct Service Manual is Part# 8M0057453

Rhonda (in our Parts Department) can assist you with the manual, water pump and any other parts you might need.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Silverfox and Don.
    I was looking for impeller, gasket & housing KIT on Mercury parts but all split individually? Water pump and checking thermostats is on my list. I've done new strainer, check condition/tightness of compressor/belt, Iridum plugs, fuel/water filter, gear oil and using your cocktail for fuel. Had boat for a couple months now so still working on a base line for maint. I'll give her a call once I've got my list. Thx Again!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    96148A8 is a suitable (complete) water pump kit. Includes all of the gaskets, plate, housing, cup, impeller, and a variety of parts that won't pertain to your engine.

Rhonda keeps those, as well as all of the other items mentioned in stock.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    96148A8 is a suitable (complete) water pump kit. Includes all of the gaskets, plate, housing, cup, impeller, and a variety of parts that won't pertain to your engine.
    And that kit is more economical than buying the individual components. If you don't know when the belt was last replaced, I'd add that to your list as well (Don recommends replacing every 4yrs). If the old belt is in good condition, keep it for an emergency spare.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    I Will add the belt to list as well, Thanks Guys!