Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Guy trying to buy a boat

Hi All,

New member here, been lurking these forums for several years soaking in info as I day dreamed about the various bass boats I wanted to run. I recently came across what I think is a great deal on a new boat that I don't think will come around again. The boat I'm looking at is 2 years old but has never been ran, no oil or gas put into it, it sat on a dealers offsite lot for two years and because the boat is two years old, its being sold at a decent discount.

My question to the experienced boaters of this forum: What are some of the concerns I should have with purchasing a 2 year old boat that has been sitting idle? The boat is still new and has the standard factory warranty so hopefully any defects will flush out and be fixed under warranty. Do I need to worry about things like the fuel lines and hoses drying out and deteriorating, livewell pumps, wiring going bad, trailer issues, ect...?

Being new to boats, I don't know what I don't know. Any advice or wisdom you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Was it stored outside, with or without cover, would be my only concern.

The boat was stored outside without a cover. The carpet, seats, and trim pieces show noticeable damage from the elements but if its only cosmetic I can probably live with it. However if being left out in the elements could lead to bigger problems, that might give me pause on the purchase.
    Last edited by Gene Parmesan; 11-21-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Leaving a new boat outside uncovered is a foolish mistake. If I could buy it for used pricing maybe. There has to be some backstory. I’m interested to know.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

Can you post pictures of the damage?

I went back to look at the boat today and get some pictures. Unfortunately it was dark so the pictures are not the best. After looking at the boat again, the tears in the seats dont look terrible, the main issue is the carpet. Its hard to see in the picture but the carpet has turned a darker grey almost black, and it is hard to the touch. I crawled around the boat and didnt see any cracks or damage to the fiberglass.

online free url upload

7. Member
    Id pass completely, if the dealer didnt care anymore than that to at least put some type of cover on it, I wouldnt buy anything from them.
    What kind of service a would you get from them?
    2002 BassCat Cougar

First I'd check on NadaGuides for the "Used Value", then Id talk to a local Upholstery shop and get a price to replace the Carpet and the Seats with you supplying the seat covers. Then get a price from the MANUFACTURER for the skins. Deduct all the costs from the repairs from the Dealers price and compare it to the NadaGuides value. Then, I'd offer that for the boat. If the gel coat is not smooth and slick, I'd also deduct $250 for detailing. Now how does that compare to what the dealer is asking ?? All your warranties should be full as it has never been run. I'd also want fresh batteries too !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    If it is a brand new boat that's never been used, I would think you would get the original factory warranties - i.e. seats tearing, etc. It's worth asking.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I did call the manufacturer and the seats and carpet would not be covered under warranty because it was caused by natural wear and tear. I still think the boat is a great deal even with the carpet and seats, but I'm starting to get turned off by the dealership. They consistently give me inaccurate quotes and conflicting information on the warranty. I was told there was a 5 year warranty on all the components of the boat, when in reality it is really only 1 year. I worry that getting any service or warranty work done here would be a total nightmare. I'm torn as I really like the boat and the price, but the dealership has been difficult to deal with.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Unless you’re good buying a used boat, I’d pass. My boat is an 06 and the seats aren’t that bad, and the button cluster hasn’t faded like that! I’d have to see pics of the entire boat and the price to make an educated suggestion but there’s a reason they let this boat just sit there, it doesn’t make sense to me!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I did call the manufacturer and the seats and carpet would not be covered under warranty because it was caused by natural wear and tear. I still think the boat is a great deal even with the carpet and seats, but I'm starting to get turned off by the dealership. They consistently give me inaccurate quotes and conflicting information on the warranty. I was told there was a 5 year warranty on all the components of the boat, when in reality it is really only 1 year. I worry that getting any service or warranty work done here would be a total nightmare. I'm torn as I really like the boat and the price, but the dealership has been difficult to deal with.
    This is your tell...Don't buy from them. First they leave it out to get weathered then they are not congenial enough to complete a sale, of course they will abandon you when it needs service.

If you feel a need to buy from a dealer than get in the car and go to one that specializes in the boat type you are seeking.

Buy quality and you will never be disappointed.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Sometimes a great deal really isn't a great deal. If I could get it for about 1/3 of new value , maybe. If not, I'd look elsewhere.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    Leaving a new boat outside uncovered is a foolish mistake. If I could buy it for used pricing maybe. There has to be some backstory. I’m interested to know.
    Yeah that seems a little fishy.. (pun not intended..) I would also be concerned about the motor. Have they fired it up for you?.. The worst thing you can do to a motor is let it sit.

Considering it has been sitting uncovered.. all of the things you mention being concerned about are legit and can drive you insane warranty or not..

To get things fixed you have to schedule a time to take it in, wait for them to get around to fixing it... (wash, rinse repeat..) that's time in the shop you don't get to use the boat....warranty work is usually low on the totem pole and means parts have to come from the manufacturer.....if they get backed up they may have it a month before they get to it depending on the time of year the problem occurs... What generally happens is you go through the painful waiting process a couple of times and then start fixing things yourself.

all things to consider...
    Last edited by BackLash625; 11-22-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate you sharing your perspective.

The boat is a 2017 nitro z18 with a 175 2 stroke at a bassproshop. The story I got from sales is the boat was optioned out pretty heavily for an 18 footer (hydraulic jack plate, hotfoot, tandem fiberglass trailer, upgraded fortrex trolling motor, dual console, and a bunch of smaller options). It sat on the showroom floor and no one bought it because of the price with options. After a couple months without selling, it was moved to their offsite storage lot and never brought back to the showroom and that's why it was sitting for 2/3 years (sounds plausible . Why they didn't cover it when storing it, I have no idea, I can only assume because its a bassproshop maybe they didn't have their act together at the time.

The motor has never been started, no gas or oil has been put in the boat, its brand new. If I were to get the boat I would probably opt in for the mercury platinum warranty. With the hull warrantied for life and the extended warranty on the motor, I figure if any components fail outside the warranty period it hopefully wont be as painful to fix as an engine or structural issue (I might be naive with this mentality).

RUN !!! I'd run with all the issues you're having even BEFORE the purchase !! Too many "Red" flags !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Call Nitro and ask about the warranty. Tell them the situation. For the price the boat is a good deal IF the motor has very few hours and the seats are easily fixable. You probably have the Hull ID number by now so they can tell you what’s really up with the boat. The warranties should start at the date of purchase unless it’s being sold as used.

As for dealing with them....after the purchase you don’t ever have to go back! Find a good marina close to you; I’m sure the people on here can give you an honest marina to deal with!

If You like the boat and the deal is good enough, dealing with a couple idiots will only matter in the beginning. Good Luck with your decision.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by txdyna65 View Post
    Id pass completely, if the dealer didnt care anymore than that to at least put some type of cover on it, I wouldnt buy anything from them.
    What kind of service a would you get from them?
    ^^ This

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

19. Member
    Hard pass on this "deal". It's a 2 year old used boat. You keep saying brand new, but it's not. Engines age, even if they're not started.

If it's half price or 60% off, might be worth the hassle. Otherwise, don't throw money away on warranties, especially on this boat.

Ask the service dept. for a price to repair everything to factory new. Carpet, switches, torn seats and then ADD that to the price they're offering. I bet it's super close to new retail price on an actual brand-new boat.
    Last edited by blwest; 11-27-2019 at 07:01 PM.

20. Member
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate you sharing your perspective.

The boat is a 2017 nitro z18 with a 175 2 stroke at a bassproshop. The story I got from sales is the boat was optioned out pretty heavily for an 18 footer (hydraulic jack plate, hotfoot, tandem fiberglass trailer, upgraded fortrex trolling motor, dual console, and a bunch of smaller options). It sat on the showroom floor and no one bought it because of the price with options. After a couple months without selling, it was moved to their offsite storage lot and never brought back to the showroom and that's why it was sitting for 2/3 years (sounds plausible . Why they didn't cover it when storing it, I have no idea, I can only assume because its a bassproshop maybe they didn't have their act together at the time.

The motor has never been started, no gas or oil has been put in the boat, its brand new. If I were to get the boat I would probably opt in for the mercury platinum warranty. With the hull warrantied for life and the extended warranty on the motor, I figure if any components fail outside the warranty period it hopefully wont be as painful to fix as an engine or structural issue (I might be naive with this mentality).
    Gene,
    Where is this boat been seating? down in warmer states exposed to heat and rain mostly, or in Upshit NYS wet, moldy, snow and ice covered???
    I am sure that the motor was tank tested at some point, since I doubt very much that any motor company would just build a motor of any kind and not fire it to do initial debug and final tune.
    Have you heard this motor run? If boat never used and removed from show room to lot, you are right, it has not had any fuel or oil in its tanks.
    I am not sure, but you can take it to a different Bass Pro Shop for warranty issues, since that is how vehicles are. However, ask the question to Bass Pro Shop.
    BTW, I would ask your concerns on the Nitro forum, since they would have more experience with this model and possible issues, and if you do end up buying, give yourself a big financial cushion, you don't short yourself on repairs in the event you need to fix it and send it down the road at some point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast