Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Deep cranks and issues???

Ok, I’ll try my best not too sound like a rookie. I am having hell with my deep crankbait reels, I have tried several and am having the same issue with them. For example, I bought a lews BB1, 2 years ago. Spooled it up with fluoro and after a few attempted long cast, I get a few snarls deep in the spool that end up snapping the line. Then I tried mono on it, same thing. Switched back to an older Calcutta and put mono on it, same thing. Couple loose lines end up breaking in the spool. Then like a moron, I put some Tatsu on it, thinking the mono was just bad. Within 10 cast, it was broken.

Now, why and what in the world am I doing wrong here. We always have some wind and casting into it is a given, is it the big cranks catching too much wind and causing my spools to overrun. If I tighten up the spool tension (or thumb the spool), I can’t get a very decent distance. Hard to explain, but why am I having these issues only with deep crankbaits, never have problems on any other baits. It’s driving me insane, anyone have any thoughts.

Tighten up the brakes until you get used to casting big plugs, or otherwise make it a point to constantly remind yourself that you've got some weight behind what you're throwing. I don't mean for that to sound inflammatory if it comes off that way...I always have to remind myself, especially if I've been "power fishing" something much lighter or haven't casted one in a while. Your instinct is to whip it out the same way you would a 1/4 oz swim jig, but obviously you'll have a bad time if you do that. Casting heavy stuff for distance is much different than casting lighter stuff. Throwing them side-armed and trying to keep my elbow tucked in instead of casting overhand and trying to bomb it helps me a lot, as does thinking "lob" more than "whip" when casting if that makes any sense. Of course you don't lob it like a 4 oz swimbait, but compared to something lighter you do.

It's subtle, but you did say spool tension vs. brakes...I'd try brakes to see if that helps vs. spool tension if you haven't tried both yet.

Another thing is using the wind to your advantage. I used to always have it in my head that I needed to fish into the wind, I think due to thinking about wind like current and how fish position facing it. Then I noticed that VanDam is always using the wind to help him and figured that if it worked for him it might work for me too. In some ways I think a bait coming from behind them can elicit more reaction strikes anyhow.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Banned
    I know I’m definitely doing something wrong, since it’s happening on multiple reels.

4. Member
    DrewFlu33 hit it on the head. You really have to have the "lob" mentality when casting these big baits. The first two times I tried an A-rig, I totally blew up my reels. Once I figured out I had to cast it completely different, I was good to go.

5. Banned
    If you watch the really good crankbait fisherman, they are seldom throwing into the wind. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen kvd throwing directly behind the boat. Position your boat upwind and use the wind to your advantage. Don’t fight it

6. Banned
    I thought that you were supposed to fish into the wind though? I’ve always heard that the bass will face the wind; but I’ve learned my lesson after trashing $50 worth of line. Guess I’ll change my angle.

7. Member
    I lob most big plugs kind of like throwing a C-Rig . If dont do it this way will get deep backlash .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Are you using the same rod and just switching out reels? If so and your line is breaking mid cast you may want to check the eyes on the rod to make sure you dont have something thats causing the line to fray. Take a Q-tip and run it in circles around the guides to see if anything catches on them.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Are you using the same rod and just switching out reels? If so and your line is breaking mid cast you may want to check the eyes on the rod to make sure you dont have something thats causing the line to fray. Take a Q-tip and run it in circles around the guides to see if anything catches on them.

Multiple rods (1 is brand new) and reels, I only have this problem with deep cranks. I think these guys are right, I’m trying to sling it with force to slice through the wind and I just have to try a different approach. I might try a reel with braid and see how it works for me.

10. Scraps
    Check the centrifugal brakes on the palm side of the reel. They can be adjusted. Maybe they're not adjusted for the weight baits being thrown?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    All the suggestions above are good, one other....what type rod are you throwing on? If the action is too fast, or not set for a heavy plug, you'll have problems too. I've actually snapped rods because I tried to whip cast a mod action or snapped line because I used too heavy a plug (I've seen them fly about 300 feet lol) and got a little overzealous on the cast.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    All the suggestions above are good, one other....what type rod are you throwing on? If the action is too fast, or not set for a heavy plug, you'll have problems too. I've actually snapped rods because I tried to whip cast a mod action or snapped line because I used too heavy a plug (I've seen them fly about 300 feet lol) and got a little overzealous on the cast.

The new one is a 7’ Lews perfect crankbait rod, one was a 7’ med Abu rod, another was a 7’ medium BPS extreme.

If I tighten the internal brakes more, it won’t cast very far. Has to be the way I’m throwing into the wind. The first couple times, I thought it was the reel, multiple times with different reels, it’s gotta be me.

13. Member
    No expert here but with deep diving lures I find most 7’ rods aren’t great at casting. Try stepping up to a 7’6” or longer rod for those heavy baits.

14. Member
    There is absolutely no reason for you to throw into the wind. Unless your fishing from the bank, I honestly think this is your problem. I'd also get a much longer rod than 7th

15. Banned
    I guess I can try it with my flipping rod, it has a soft tip and should work for experimental sakes.

16. Scraps
    If I'm casting into the wind I'm trying to make shorter casts. If I think I'm going to cast into the wind I'm gonna position the boat so I'm at best casting across the wind if that sense makes.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

When throwing into the wind, let the bait hang down 3-4 times as far from the rod tip as you would on a normal cast.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

more brakes less spool tension.
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    more brakes less spool tension.
    Yep

20. Member
    One word.... Tatula.

Longer casts: Type R
    Absolute inability to backlash: SV

My wife HATE's even trying to figure out a baitcaster, but even SHE can't screw up her SV.

We went out yesterday, never had any of my Tatula's backlash and the wind was pretty good at times. (even casting almost directly into it) Now the PQII was another story!

As for bass facing the wind. If they are facing it, and you are throwing with it... then you are facing them. Throw over their heads, reel it down into their skulls.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast