Shimano reel covers

Has anyone has this happen to there reels due to the Shimano reel covers.
    Looks as if the stitching inside the covers has some type of glue on them. I try to take extreme care of some very expensive gear by using Shimano covers but it has ruined the finish on a lot of reels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I have never seen that before. Where did you get the covers? If they are from Shimano I would be giving them a call.

3. Member
    Purchased them from T/W I was able to remove the glue from my aldebaran’s with no issues but not so on the chronarch & Metanium mgl’s as the finish is different. I have over 20 of these covers & would put them up for sale but I’d hate for this to happen to anyone else. Hopefully Shimano has changed how there made. I’ve sent Shimano an email but haven’t heard anything yet.

4. Member
    I have one. I see threads but don’t see glue.

Edit. I do see glue. Maybe I won’t use this on my new bantam.

Disappointing. I spent $7 bucks on that cover.

5. Member
    I have 13 of them on my Shimanos of all types up to the Chronarch MGL and no problems. Most came from TW.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HalBrown View Post
    I have 13 of them on my Shimanos of all types up to the Chronarch MGL and no problems. Most came from TW.
    I have about 10 of the old blue ones, and 1 of the new black like you have. I have not had any problems with mine.

7. Member
    My experience is the same as the original poster. Seems to happen more during hot weather but would not swear to that. I have always been able to clean it off with a soft rag and something like WD40. I do not think it has permanently damaged any of my reels but I have been switching to other covers.

8. Member
    I did speak with a rep at Shimano about the issue. I was told to mail them in with proof of purchase on the covers & they will replace them Under the one year warranty Shimano offers. I also own the older blue cover with no issues. I agree it may have something to do with heat. The covers are the least of my problem right now, more the finish on a $280 plus reels. Not sure if it has anything to do with the material or paint that’s used on the mgl reels (chronarch/scorpion) as I didn’t have a problem with my scorpion DC or the aldebaran 50’s. Don’t think I’ll send them back for replacements as I’m afraid of ruining any more reels. As Timinmo stated in a post above, I also recommend WD40 or some type of oil with a soft cloth

9. Member
    Have round reel shimano covers and all 3 of them got sticky and stained my reels.

DANG!

I just bought 7 of those. Hopefully mine will be OK .......

11. Member

Pic of cover inside out

This is a pic of a cover turned inside out. Notice the gloss/shiny look on the stitching
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    Thats how I use mine now inside out.