How to fix paint gloss spot on RT188 rail

Well, I screwed up today. I had some dry Asian Carp blood on the painted rail of my charcoal colored RT188. I scrub it way too hard with a course feeling rag. I dulled/scratched the clear top coat. How would a novice fix it? Got to be a way to make it look gloss again. I hate the way it stands out.

2. Member
    I’ve read there is no clear coat. Have you tried a paint polish and wax? I’ve used a product called scratch out on cars. It works fairly good. You’re welcome to give me a shout, if I have some left you’re welcome to try it. I know I have a few kinds of wax.

3. Member
    I would also start with the polish and wax simple and cheap start.

4. Member
    I'm guessing that you're going to have to live with it

5. Banned
    chalk it up as a "battle wound"

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Polishing (not rubbing) compound would be worth trying followed by a good quality car wax. Rubbing compound is generally more aggressive.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Fear not, Mechanic Bob will chime in here soon and I bet he will offer up some good advice
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

8. Member
    I second the polishing compound then wax.

Any polishing or cleaning should be done with a microfiber towel IMO. Surface scratches will come out. This is just single stage paint so you cant get super aggressive with it but i have had good luck with a recommended trick from a friend with a body shop is take a good carnuba liquid wax and put some in a small bowl then put an equal amount of FINE rubbing compound and mix them up. Then apply with a micro fiber pad or a buffer is best if you have it with a little moisture on the pad. If you do it by hand its gonna take some elbow grease. After the scratches are gone go over again with wax alone and youre done.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

While were at it how about this scratch Lake Gaston culverts aren't very forgiving.

Boat Scratch.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    While were at it how about this scratch Lake Gaston culverts aren't very forgiving.

Boat Scratch.jpg

File the burrs of any rough spots. Then, use a heat gun and apply use powder paint to the bad spots. The only problem will be getting your rig into a toaster oven to bake on the powder paint.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments