Another HDS Live vs. Elite Ti2 question

I'm going to buy a new Lowrance unit for my console. I see that the 9" HDS Live and the 12" Elite Ti2 are priced pretty much the same. I would get the 3-in-1 transducer in either case.

I'm pretty much aware of the advertised similarities and differences in features between the two units. What I've heard informally is that the HDS Live has sharper, more well defined scanning images. Is that actually the case - has anybody seen both units (any size) in operation? Image quality is very important to me personally. The other added features of the HDS Live would probably not be enough to justify spending the same money for a smaller unit if the image quality was not noticeably better.

Thanks

It’s my understanding that the 12” regardless of Live or TI2 is of the same resolution and greater than the 9” screen...

3. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    hds = higher resolution + faster processor

4. Member
    I was at the same point and went for the hds-9, it has 1280 x 720 screen resolution. The ti2 12 has 1280x800. So just slightly more pixels. And since i'm usually close to my unit when I want to see something, the added screen size is not a big plus, if it doesn't come with more pixels. I figured I'll probably be able to do more with the HDS in the future, when new add on gadgets or software will come out.

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses! So now I'm looking again at 3-in-1 vs 2-in-1 transducer. Am I right in thinking that both have identical down scan and side scan technology but that the 2-in-1 does not have 2D sonar (the HDS Live instead getting 2D sonar from a previously installed through hull transducer)? The boat shop guy says that, given the mounting location for the transducer, I would not be able to get the 2D from the 3-in-1 transducer while on plane. That (not knowing how deep the water is while underway) bothers me.
    Thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old but have Champ View Post
    Thanks for the responses! So now I'm looking again at 3-in-1 vs 2-in-1 transducer. Am I right in thinking that both have identical down scan and side scan technology but that the 2-in-1 does not have 2D sonar (the HDS Live instead getting 2D sonar from a previously installed through hull transducer)? The boat shop guy says that, given the mounting location for the transducer, I would not be able to get the 2D from the 3-in-1 transducer while on plane. That (not knowing how deep the water is while underway) bothers me.
    Thanks
    That is correct. 2 in 1 would suit you better with a properly mounted 2d transducer.

You could still run the 3 in 1 and run a second 2d while on plane. (Good option if you want to do mapping or fish reveal)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old but have Champ View Post
    Thanks
    This might be worth a read:
    http://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/2019...or-2-in-1.html

8. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I'm getting the 3-in-1 transducer for the HDS Live and leaving the in-dash unit (HDS Gen 2) hooked up to the through hull transducer. It's really nice to get on this website and get knowledgeable and helpful responses quickly.

9. Banned
    How do I run 2 transducers on one unit?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet1 View Post
    How do I run 2 transducers on one unit?
    Only hds carbon and live can do it. But you install a transducer on each sonar Port on your unit and turn on both sonar ports under settings. Then you can run split screen if you want or just change the source on the sonar menu.

11. Member
    I've got a tm150m and a 2in1 on my hds live. Worked pretty much out of the box.