50hp cooling issue

I picked up a Honda 50hp 4 stroke tiller a few months ago, about a 2001 or so. Water sure doesn't shoot out of the cooling indicator hose like it should. Took it apart yesterday, impeller didn't really look all that bad. Put a new one in anyway. Still not shooting water up like it should. I took the stat out of the top of the motor, water wasn't even going up that far, but stat was working. Doesn't seem to be any blockage that I'm aware of; I stuck a wire in the outlet where water comes out of the motor, nothing came out. There is a fitting there that apparently unscrews so you can clean it out, but I tried undoing it, and it would not move at all, so I didn't try any harder.
    I'm going to take it apart again tomorrow, as I suspect when you slide the lower unit back on and the water intake meets the water pump housing, that isn't meeting up. The rubber gasket in there looked somewhat crushed when I took it apart. I'm going to take that rubber piece out and put it together, see what the gap is like and see if it still pumps water up.
    This is kinda frustrating. Anything else, or anything specific I should be looking for?
    2002 Lund ProV 2025 Magnum /Yamaha 200 HPDI

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Sounds like your on the right track!!

Thanks. I took it apart this morning and looked at it. Really looks like the water pump housing and the pipe going up are meshing ok, which I would hope since I put a little bit of grease on there to make the transition a bit easier. New impeller, gaskets look ok...I just don't understand why water isn't blasting thru that motor.

4. Member
    I worked at a Honda dealer in the early 2000's - it got to the point that we refused to install just an impeller, it was the complete housing with impeller or nothing. Even though it may look OK if it isn't perfectly flat the impeller will not pump as it should. A lot of the problems were BF40's and BF50's.

Jeff, that's the exact kind of info I was fishing for. Thank you. I wondered if there wasn't some model specific problems or something. I have a 50, so there ya go. Love the thing, seems to run real well, but I sure don't wanna burn it up. I guess I'll install the whole works and see if that makes a difference. If I have to do that every 3 or 4 years or something, I'll gladly do it.

Welp, I don't know what I did, but I fired it up this morning and it was pumping water reeeeal nicely, best I've ever seen it. I didn't have the ear muffs really pressured either, so I'd say it's a good sign. I slapped it all back together, and hope to take it out this weekend and test it out. Wish me luck.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Luck

I usually have NO luck....so I'll take any little slice of it I can. ;)

Here's the latest: weather has been awesome here in Nebraska, so I took the boat out Wednesday, pounded on a bunch of catfish. Good news is whatever I did worked, and worked well. Motor has pumped water the best I've ever seen since I've owned it. Must have gotten everything packed back in just right with the new impeller, because it looked good. Thanks for the time and info guys.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar