Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

some suggestions for a deer rifle for the wife

so to start off my wife is 5'2" and has little midge arms and hands
    all of the rifles I have are full length rifles and she has a tough time getting the gun shouldered and up on the scope so she can get a clear picture through the scope.
    started her out with a 243 and she got her first deer with it a few years ago. but last year she missed an opportunity at a deer just because of the issues she has finding the target in the scope.
    so this year she was sick and couldn't go out at all but I told her we would work on getting her her own rifle so she doesn't have to use one of mine.
    I don't want to spend a ton on one for her first one but want a decent rifle.
    so far we have looked at the Savage Axix compact, the Mossberg rifles in a youth. haven't got to let her hold a Rem 700 but have looked at the Rem 783 youth really wanted to look into the Thompson Center Compass but didn't see them have a youth model
    was also kind of looking at the Ruger American youth
    caliber wise I want to stay with something in a short action like a 7mm-08,308 or a 6.5 Creedmoor.

a lot of the hunting we do any more is a lot of field hunting but she dosent have the experience yet to make any long shots but if I can get her a gun that fits she will shoot more to get some experience.

so give me some ideas on youth type rifles if any of you all have any history with any that I have listed.
    she liked the Savage Axis but to me it just dosent feel right feels kinda cheap. I like the Rem 700 action and always have. but like the Ruger American as I see its got some decent reviews. don't know anything about the 783 Remington or the mossbergs

Have you considered an AR in 6.5 Grendel? Low recoil, plenty of power to kill a deer and the stock can be adjusted or changed to fit the shooter.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Member
    My girlfriend is using one of the Remington Model 7 stainless rifles in 7-08, works well for her, scaled down model 700 action, i think it was around $700 for just the rifle, but they have it in a blue version for less money.

4. Member
    I bought my kids a Remington 260 model 7 which is short easy to shoulder and deer don’t go 40 yds. I catch myself using it now instead of my browning 30-06. Not a expensive gun but shoots really good !

5. Member
    Remington used to make a youth model 7mm-08, I shot one for a while just for ease of carrying and moving around. Great knock down and low recoil.

Get her a youth version of a Remington 700 or Seven. Get it with a wood stock so a good gunsmith can measure her LOP and cut the stock to fit her. Have a good recoil pad installed too.

As far as chambering goes, 243 and 7mm-0& would be my choices in that order. Use 80-85 grain Barnes bullets. The all copper bullets shoot flat, penetrate well and kill quickly.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Any compact or youth model in 243 will fit the bill. Take her to the LGS and handle a few of them. Or, like mentioned above, get her an AR with an adjustable stock. They make fine hunting rifles despite what people want to believe. My wife loves shooting my AR’s.

8. Member
    I'd get her a Savage Axis II compact.
    https://grabagun.com/savage-axis-6-5...yn-22-pkg.html

9. Member
    I would go a youth model rifle for sure. If your shots are 150 yds or less, I would look at a 350 legend bolt rifle which has little recoil. Otherwise, the 7mm-08 is a winner.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

I’m a big Fan if the 7mm-08

look the Ruger American line. Good solid affordable rifles. Accurate and have good trigger and safety systems.

Put out the money saved into a good scope.

Good luck.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    Try an AR-15 platform in the new 350 Legend. Straight walled case, good to 200 yrds. Good write up in the American Rifleman. Nice thing about the M-4 is the adjustable stock and availability in shorter barrel lengths.
    dvl2700

Why not just find her a rifle she likes in a caliber she wants and then take her and it to a gunsmith and have it cut to fit her.

13. Member
    I got my daughter a Ruger M77 Hawkeye youth in 7mm-08. Sweet little gun. It was around $650 before scope. With recoil pad and "managed recoil" rounds the felt recoil is about half of a .243 but still good for short-range deer hunting.

The only con that I've noticed is a little play in the trap door. This can cause a metallic click when you pick it up with one hand so I need to address that at some point if it's going to be used for deer.

My squaw shoots .308 Ruger youth rifle.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

Been down the AR rabbit hole and don't want to go back there. nothing against them just not what I'm looking for.
    and I have a 243 already but I would much rather have her shoot something with a bigger pill than the 243. why im looking at something like the 7mm-08, 308 or 6.5 Creed

Luke, the 6.5 CM would be my choice. The 7MM-08 is a good one as well, but you would need to handload to get the most out of it. 6.5 CM has tons of factory ammo that shoot good. I have a Savage 11 and a Ruger Predator in 6.5 CM. Two years ago, you couldn't have given me one. I am not a bandwagon kinda guy, and have been a staunch .270 Win fan for over 30 years. Needed to get my boys something to use when they came to visit, and started doing some research. Looked at ballistics, talked with folks, checked out availability of ammo, etc.

Bought them the Savage and took it to the range. Was putting together boring 1/2 MOA groups with Hornady 143 grain ELD-X. Finally got the opportunity to test it on game. Blackbuck and Axis were all taken at ranges from 60 yards to 276 yards. Terminal damage was impressive. All were lung/heart shots, and no animal made it further than 40 yards. Most gave up on the spot.

After a couple of animals were taken with the Savage, I had to buy myself a left-hand Ruger. It also shoots boring small groups and has taken three pronghorn in Wyoming. I am a huge fan of the minimal recoil (considerably less than any of the .270 Win I've owned over the years). I've been thinking about buying a third 6.5 CM (actually a new barrel for my T/C Encore) just because.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    The model 7 Remington, was great for.my boys when they were that size and smaller. Loaned it to several who took deer with it too. It is in 260 Remington but 6.5 creedmore would be my choice for available ammo and ballistics.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’d go to BPS or the best local gun store and have her hold the different models. One or two will stand out. I don’t think you could go wrong with a youth Rem 700 in .308!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

19. Member
    I have the ruger American in 270, but kicks a lot less than my dads 700 or my brothers savage. I looked and held al and the ruger was best for me. Has a nice adjustable trigger and has a very smooth action compared to the others you mentioned. For caliber I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. The others are fine as well but the 6.5 will be the one that will not drop as much as the others. Will be a lot easier to learn as it’s a flatter shooting round.

20. Member
    I do not know what exactly you will get for her but it you will likely be able to consider it a good trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast