Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On Board Charger Help

The remote charge indicator shows full charge on starter battery.
    The on-board charger shows full charge on starter battery.
    Neither the on-board charger or the remote charge indicator show the TM batteries charged/charging.

What am I not doing/doing wrong? BTW the TM relay I have popped off and back on several times, but it has no impact (even if it should). I assume I am just doing something out of line but I cannot figure out what it is. Hopefully some of you out there have been been through this.

Thanks in advance!

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What charger are we dealing with here?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What charger are we dealing with here?
    Sorry - 3 Bank Dual Pro - original factory install

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    And has it been working as designed up till now?
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    And has it been working as designed up till now?
    Only had it a short period, but yes. I just went back out to plug it in yesterday and noticed the TM lights weren't lighting up.

6. Member
    When you plugin the charger what do the lights on the 2 TM batteries show?

Are the fuses in the yellow fuse holders in the wires going to the trolling motor batteries good?

Simple check is the fuses in the banks for the troll system.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Best case scenario might be fuses. I had a charger problem [same charger] a few years back, but fortunately only on 1 trolling bank. Eventually, my dealer tech figured out that one of my trolling batteries had a dead cell/short circuit that literally was killing the corresponding bank on my charger. The battery tested okay, but when we replaced the charger [boat was under warranty], within minutes the same bank of the new charger stopped charging. Oops!

The purpose of the story above is to wonder whether your trolling motor relay popping in and out hasn’t somehow created a power surge that damaged your charger. Chargers can and do fail, but typically either completely [in this case, all 3 banks] or a single bank at a time. Both trolling banks quitting at the same time is suspicious.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No lights would indicate a charger problem. How old is the charger?
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    Thanks for all the comments. I will check the fuses, because no lights come on at all. It's only a couple of months' old - came new with the boat.

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Oh, did not comprehend that no lights come on at all. And apparently, they have not done so since you’ve had the boat? If that’s the case, something is wrong with the charger wiring, charger plug, or charger itself. If you purchased from a dealer, quickest way to check is to have them replace the charger with a new one and test. Wouldn’t have to bolt it down, just connect the wires, plug in, and see what happens. That’s less than 1/2 hour of shop time and is covered by the Ranger warranty (3 years). Ranger will replace for you within 2 months. No need to correspond with Dual Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. I will check the fuses, because no lights come on at all. It's only a couple of months' old - came new with the boat.
    You always have your warranty...CSI (dual pro) will take care of you.

13. Member
    thanks all!

it did work up until I plugged it in yesterday and those would not come on.

14. Member
    I recently had to upgrade my 3 bank Ranger Dual Pro Charger (2006). I had the same issue you are having with 1 bank's LED not lighting up or never changing from red to green. Ended up being a dead bank. I changed it out for a Minn Kota 345PC charger that has been flawless.

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Change the fuses even if they look good. If it's still not working call Dual Pro they nave great CS.They will even take the old one in trade for a new one if out of warranty.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

16. Member
    Switch the trolling motor leads to the known working battery to see if they light up.

17. Member
    Just thought I would give an update in case this happens to anyone else. Per the dealer I took it to (Cabela's), when the batteries get so low, the charger will not register/kick in. The starter battery had enough that it was registering and charging, but the TM batteries were so low that they had to have another charger put on them to bring them up to enough charge for the on-board charger to kick in and do its thing. Seems strange to me that the on-board would not do the trick itself, but it did not for whatever reason. And all seems to be good now.

18. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    Just thought I would give an update in case this happens to anyone else. Per the dealer I took it to (Cabela's), when the batteries get so low, the charger will not register/kick in. The starter battery had enough that it was registering and charging, but the TM batteries were so low that they had to have another charger put on them to bring them up to enough charge for the on-board charger to kick in and do its thing. Seems strange to me that the on-board would not do the trick itself, but it did not for whatever reason. And all seems to be good now.
    That behavior is perfectly normal and required by Coast Guard regulations. But the light should have been blinking red on each problem bank to indicate there was no battery detected.
    nothing else matters.​

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Yes, the issue you discovered is a known characteristic of these multi-bank chargers. A good reason to keep a small portable charger in the shop. I have one I use to top off the batteries on infrequently used lawn and garden equipment. It will initiate a charge well below the level that the onboard marine chargers will, giving me a backup as well as a means of troubleshooting weak/damaged batteries.

20. Member
    Thanks for confirming guys. I have had OB chargers for 20 years and never knew that. It just never happened I guess. Appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast