Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    My research indicates that any light truck tire should ok as well right?
    I would say, "Yes," on using light truck tires. I looked into Michelin Defender LTX M+S 225/65R17 tires which are for light trucks? However, they are 225's and not 215's plus are slightly larger diameter than my original ST215/65R17 Kenetica Loadstar tires made my Kenda. Because they are slightly larger in diameter, I'm concerned that they might rub on the metal step that hangs down between the front and rear trailer tires.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

2. Member
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Any thoughts on the cooper discover AT 3? I’ve had 1 Kenda separate on me and busted 2 on curb with cut in sidewall due to tight areas and bad driving I suppose. Want a tougher tire for sure!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Asia/China= Asia/China bombs.

Yep

5. Member

Tire issue and Findings

I noted some comments in all these threads and and wanted to pass along my experiences. My new 521 had the balance beads in the tires. Ranger told me that they had recently moved to beads in the 17 inch tires but for years had put beads in smaller tires. Reason was they said they had customers complain about balance issues after 1000 miles. The beads and rims are done in the vendor factory and shipped to Ranger. Beads are supposed to go in every tire....does not mean it always happens. I had vibration issues from 65 to 74 mph. Finally I went to my tire dealer and pulled the beads out and hub balanced them. No problems since then. Also after past issues with my last ranger tires and hub alignment I learned that trailer tires are designed differently from passenger tires. Trailer tires are made with stiffer side walls. Also because of these stiff side walls you can have low tire pressure and not be visible to your eye. Always run trailer tires to max pressure and make certain your hook up of your trailer is as level as possible. Most folks don’t run enough drop on ball hitch. Finally I am certainly an expert but a got all this info from Ranger, Tire experts and trailer experts!
    2023 Ranger 521R
    Merc 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good details in this post. Could be helpful to a lot of folks. I haven’t had problems with the balance beads myself, but others have.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    I agree, alot of good posts here....very informative. Now granted I've only pulled my current rig ~350 miles, but the 17" Kenda's and balance beads pulled much smoother than my 2012 520 with balanced (not beads) 14" tires. That and the red on the valve stem caps look cool with the red of the boat...
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    New set of Michelin’s being delivered tomm. Goodyear endurance doesn’t come in a 17 inch tire. My fender did suffer a small chip and some spider cracking from the belt slapping against it. Not bad enough to replace. A little more “character” for my rig.
    Which Michelin's did you purchase?

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    A little bling...is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I agree, alot of good posts here....very informative. Now granted I've only pulled my current rig ~350 miles, but the 17" Kenda's and balance beads pulled much smoother than my 2012 520 with balanced (not beads) 14" tires. That and the red on the valve stem caps look cool with the red of the boat...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Which Michelin's did you purchase?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...tnum=165HR7DTH

11. Member
    I know this is an older thread, but I see a lot of references to Kendra, Michelin, as well as a few other tire brands. I have a 2011 Ranger Z119 and am the second owner. It has Carlisle tires. Does anyone have any experience with them? Anything I need to be on the lookout for? I did notice that I was towing my trailer a littler too high. I've now lowered the ball and the tires are running even. Haven't gone on a lone trip yet, but it has to ride better now.
    Keith Smith
    Ashland, Kentucky
    2011 Ranger Z119, 225 Mercury Pro XS

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I assume they are the 14 inch tires and wheels? I had good success with the Carlisle tires, except for running over roofing nails and etc. Just keep an eye out to determine that tread wear is even and not faster developing than you consider acceptable. I towed a 2011 Z119 24,000 miles in 3 years and had it not been for punctures, would have done fine with the original tires.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsmith7 View Post
    I know this is an older thread, but I see a lot of references to Kendra, Michelin, as well as a few other tire brands. I have a 2011 Ranger Z119 and am the second owner. It has Carlisle tires. Does anyone have any experience with them? Anything I need to be on the lookout for? I did notice that I was towing my trailer a littler too high. I've now lowered the ball and the tires are running even. Haven't gone on a lone trip yet, but it has to ride better now.
    As long as those are not the older Carlisle (and especially not 2011 originals) but the newer Carlisle HD trailer tire, just check tread wear and air psi, the newer Carlisle ones are pretty good
    2B576211

14. Member
    My 520L is now a year old and I’ve towed it just under 4000 miles. So far the Kendas look good. However I’m not going to wait too long to replace them. I’ve been hoping for more options on 17” ST rated tires.

15. Member
    There have been some good posts. Glad to see people are having better success with the newer Carlisle tires than I have had. One thing Im definitely going to do if I decide to replace my tires with anything like a designated "light truck" tire, is check with the manufacturer technical department first. From what I was told a 3 years ago by a technical rep of the National Tire Manufactures Association, a boat/trailer combination puts a completely different stress level on a tire, than a car or truck does. He said the "ST" designation on a tire indicates its designed to handle the different stress that a boat/trailer puts on a tire and that is what he would use. So its a little confusing. One thing is I know I will only run a chinese made tire if its my only option and that's based on my own personal experience of having them on my trailer.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    There have been some good posts. Glad to see people are having better success with the newer Carlisle tires than I have had. One thing Im definitely going to do if I decide to replace my tires with anything like a designated "light truck" tire, is check with the manufacturer technical department first. From what I was told a 3 years ago by a technical rep of the National Tire Manufactures Association, a boat/trailer combination puts a completely different stress level on a tire, than a car or truck does. He said the "ST" designation on a tire indicates its designed to handle the different stress that a boat/trailer puts on a tire and that is what he would use. So its a little confusing. One thing is I know I will only run a chinese made tire if its my only option and that's based on my own personal experience of having them on my trailer.
    Well said.

17. Member
    2021 Z521. Had a sidewall blow out. Had 2 others with broken belts.The dealer isnt sure they are covered under warranty. boat has 22 hours and is 6 months old. Trying to figure out a different avenue from these tires.

18. Member
    I have a 2019 521L and it blew a tire at 2 years old. Luckily it didn't damage the fender. There are no options for an ST tire for a 17"wheel, other than a Kenda, which I didn't want. I ordered a set of car tires. These: https://simpletire.com/paid?v=1&tire...re-2-0&itemId= They have a 1900+pound load capacity, speed rated to 118mph and can be inflated to 51psi. Nokian is a Finland based company and when these tires arrived, they read "Made in Russia" on the sidewall. They have been on the trailer over a year and so far, so good. I hope Made in Russia is better than made in China.

19. Member
    My boat had the original Carlisle tires from Ranger. After 2 years tread separations galore. Never again!!

20. Member
    In the process of upgrading items on my tandem trailer on my 2021 Ranger RT198P to improve it's ride and bounce, my trailer guy offered to swap out the stock Kenda Loadstar tires for a set of Provider brand tires for a test drive. He said if I didn't like them he would take them off and re-mount the Kendas no charge. I was SHOCKED how much better the Provider tires rode. And it wasn't a balance think either the Kendas did not vibrate. The Providers never came off the trailer. 14" radial ST tires.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...r/TR20514.html

I did some research and the company that makes them says they use rubber with lower ash content... yes they ad ash to the rubber I guess in cheaper tires like Kendas. Their top of the line brand uses ash-free rubber. Anyway, all I can say is I will not have another set of Kenda tires if I can help it. My experience with Chinese car tires has not been pleasant, either. The funny thing is the Providers were no more expensive than the Kendas if not slightly cheaper!

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Bravo 1 FS
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast