225 v6 or 225 v8 ???

What are the performance differences between these two motors apples to apples. I can get my hands on a v6 today or should I wait and order the pro xs? The motor is going on a 1999 triton TR 21.

torque will be better in the v8, and i would speculate the v8 just putzing along along at 239 is going to last longer than a v6 at 224 giving all it has. think race car high hp less life vs a street car has more hp available but dosnt have it unlocked
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not sure where you're getting those numbers from... but I would strongly recommend the ProXS V8 (it's higher Displacement will provide much better torque and performance).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

If you buy the V6, you'll regret not buying the V8 right away. There's no comparison. The V6 3.4 has a WORSE holeshot, & midrange than the 3 liter Optimax engines if that means anything. I've repowered several boats from an opti to the 3.4 and noone was impressed from the performance they lost.

Not to hijack but what's the best use case for the V6 225? A big honking pontoon or maybe a multi-engine salt water boat?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Not to hijack but what's the best use case for the V6 225? A big honking pontoon or maybe a multi-engine salt water boat?
    Those would be a couple of potential markets. Some runabouts also (keeping in mind that the "V6-225" is not just a one-model engine group, there are a number of unique models).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I'm guessing fuel economy and lower weight of the v6 would be beneficial on smaller skiff and multi species boats.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Those would be a couple of potential markets. Some runabouts also (keeping in mind that the "V6-225" is not just a one-model engine group, there are a number of unique models).
    Going to be puttingnan225 proxs v8 on a 21ft.Hewescraft with extended transom.Boat weighs 2800 dry.Motor will be a 25” shaft so 5.44 gear case.My elevation where boat will primarily be operated is 3500 ft.Looking at an Enertia eco 16x 17 prop.Any thoughts?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hewesurdaddy View Post
    Going to be puttingnan225 proxs v8 on a 21ft.Hewescraft with extended transom.Boat weighs 2800 dry.Motor will be a 25” shaft so 5.44 gear case.My elevation where boat will primarily be operated is 3500 ft.Looking at an Enertia eco 16x 17 prop.Any thoughts?
    Enertia, Mirage or Bravo-1 would be the props I would consider. You're on the right track....

If you would, take a moment to go over the Announcements at the top of the Forum. Your question would be best in it's own separate thread, normally.

BTW- Welcome to BBC!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Enertia, Mirage or Bravo-1 would be the props I would consider. You're on the right track....

If you would, take a moment to go over the Announcements at the top of the Forum. Your question would be best in it's own separate thread, normally.

BTW- Welcome to BBC!
    Do you mean I should have started a new thread or posted under a prop related thread? I don’t have an engine serial number as the boat is being built and don’t have an engine assigned yet.Just trying to get advice on prop since dealer is including one of my choice. What do you think about the size?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably a good starting point.

12. Member
    Thank you.Will let you know how it turned out around April when I get the boat.Merry Christmas to all.