Thread: Reed inspection

Reed inspection

Trying to rundown a slight stumble on idle. Not constant like a spark plug miss. 2003 225HP optimax 280 hrs. Always run Opti oil, every now and then some quickleen. Been on the net for hours and have read all the problems everyone has had. Replaced plugs. I would like to inspect the reeds for chips etc. Is there a video that shows how this is done? I've read that this is not too difficult. Thanks Terry

2. Member
    The plenum must be removed to inspect the reeds properly. If you want to get into doing this kind of work, then I suggest that you follow the procedures in a Genuine Mercury Marine Service Manual.

If those reeds have never been replaced, don't fret over inspection, replace them with TDR reeds from European Marine (http://www.europeanmarine.org/)
    The symptom you have is quite common when injectors need cleaning. Be sure you are using top tier 87 octane fuel with quickleen every tank and premium plus oil added to you fuel at 150-1 mix. If it does not improve after a couple tanks fuel further diagnose will be required. I have personally experienced a improved idle when adding premium plus to the gas
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. BBC SPONSOR
    The 6 petal and 4 petal metal reeds on rubber coated cages that were introduced in 1996 by merc are the highest mortality reeds of all time in my opinion,and I speak with over 50 years of experiance with 2 stroke outboards,service motors as well as racing.Around 15 years ago we developed reeds for these cages,and because our reeds are generally designed to flow better than steel,we also developed optimax specific reeds using a custom flowbench.These optimax specific reeds are designed to(and do)improve idle quality,and accelleration,while restricting high end airflow to aproximately the same as their steel counterparts.This is a critical feature due to the optimax fuel system that has no self adjusting mixture features.These reeds will not run the motor lean,but will improve driveability,while safeguarding the motor from broken steel reed damage.We sell lots of these reeds,43 sets from our ebay store alone in the last 60 days...and we manufacture reeds for all 2 stroke outboards.
    We also now offer fuel injection service.
    Call with questions,Chris

5. Member
    Do the reed kits come with everything needed, gaskets etc. 'Thanks T

6. BBC SPONSOR
    We have everything you will need in stock,call to order,Chris

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtbassman View Post
    Trying to rundown a slight stumble on idle. Not constant like a spark plug miss. 2003 225HP optimax 280 hrs. Always run Opti oil, every now and then some quickleen. Been on the net for hours and have read all the problems everyone has had. Replaced plugs. I would like to inspect the reeds for chips etc. Is there a video that shows how this is done? I've read that this is not too difficult. Thanks Terry
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and update your post with the Required info. Thanks!

I sell, and STRONGLY recommend TDR Reeds for your engine model. See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum for Parts Ordering info.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and update your post with the Required info. Thanks!

I sell, and STRONGLY recommend TDR Reeds for your engine model. See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum for Parts Ordering info.
    ^^^^^
    2003 225 EFI going on 3 yrs smooth as it can be. Thank you Don.
    BTW, it may be time to get them injectors cleaned and dialed in by Integrity Injection.