3.5 Oz Swimbait set up

I am just getting into, fishing the larger swimbaits. I bought a 9" M S Slammer and its around 3.5 Ozs. I have a Daiwa Lexa 300 reel paired with a Dobyns Fury 806SB rod. I have been told to use straight 25 Lb Fluoro. After spending like $70, I am not too keen on using fluoro. Is it the right answer tho or can I use Braid? The M S Slammer is the Wake series, so shouldn't have to worry about getting hooked on underwater logs,rocks etc but still don't want to lose my lure anytime soon . I know, I know. If ya don't want to lose it then don't fish with it, right? (LOL). Just trying to get some different opinions.

Nothing wrong with using straight braid , or braid with a leader. 20 or 25# big game mono is not a bad choice either.

3. Member
    I use 20 lb big game mono for my 9" slammers the biggest I throw is a 8" bull shad on 20 lb mono. I'm not a fan of braid except for my frogs it has no stretch if you backlash it just snaps. Then your lure is gone.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

4. Member
    Here is tons of information on getting started with swimbaits.
    http://swimbaitunderground.com/forum...read-me-first/
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

5. Allan Collins
    Braid tends to dig the spool on the backcast with a very heavy lure like a swim bait which causes a backlash during the first half of the cast. This means a 1/4 pound lure coming to a dead stop on no stretch line ��. You would be amazed how easily #80 braid can be snapped in this manner.

Or return it to you at an alarming speed. Brian.

7. Member
    I would go 20 or 25lb.mono or co-poly. Braid will get you when you least expect it . Fluoro will tend to pull your bait down as it's a sinking line.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Nothing wrong with using straight braid , or braid with a leader. 20 or 25# big game mono is not a bad choice either.
    This is what I use. Braid to 20 LB Big game.

9. Member
    i would not use the fluro on the m.s slammer as it is a topwater bait primarily it does dive a bit if retrieved at a good clip but it was designed to be a wake bait. on my glidebait set ups and other swimbait set ups i use 20lb p line cxx or 22lb sunline defier. i noticed many swimbait guys going to braid especially for the hudd style top hook baits to get a super solid hook set. for the slammer i would think braid would be a good choice the only thing with braid is the damage it can do on a cast when dealing with heavier weights of a swimbait. once you get so many shoulder jerking back lashes with braid, the ones that stop the bait dead in its tracks and rips the rod out of your hand i mean. the reel will only take so much before the gears get gnarly from this happening. with braid i would definitely practice my cast for a bit before going out and bombing baits that heavy, its a different casting dynamic than say normal baits of a lower weight.