Question License requirements

Morning guys,
    I’ve got a question about what license I’ll need to fish the Potomac if I decide to fish an ABA series tournament up there next year. I live in NC and most of the Virginia division are at Kerr and Gaston which is 30 minutes up the road so that’s a better choice than the NC division for me. Having always wanting to fish the Potomac this may be my best excuse.
    If I get a VA license does it cover me anywhere on the river or will I have to have a Md license also?
    And knowing it’s tidal like the James is there anything in particular to be careful of in the water when the tides out?
    Thanks
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

2. Member
    VA license is good from the Woodrow Wilson bridge to the 301 bridge in all MD and Va water. You won't go below the 301. Above the WW bridge you will need a District of Columbia license.
    Have a good map chip and you'll be okay. Always a safe bet not to cut points to close when entering bays and creeks.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by herndonpro View Post
    VA license is good from the Woodrow Wilson bridge to the 301 bridge in all MD and Va water. You won't go below the 301. Above the WW bridge you will need a District of Columbia license.
    Have a good map chip and you'll be okay. Always a safe bet not to cut points to close when entering bays and creeks.
    Please excuse the questions but why wouldn’t I go below the 301 bridge? And being it’s the DC area what areas do you avoid because of all the military bases? Don’t wanna get a warning shot over the bow.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howard47 View Post
    Please excuse the questions but why wouldn’t I go below the 301 bridge? And being it’s the DC area what areas do you avoid because of all the military bases? Don’t wanna get a warning shot over the bow.
    Assuming you will probably launch from either Smallwood or Leesylvania parks it is a very long way to the 301 bridge, with few if any viable options for bass down there. Saltwater starts to mix in, especially towards summer.

For DC if there is a sign that says stay out or away do so and heed any no wake signs and you'll be fine.

5. Member
    Gotcha
    I appreciate the info
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

Look at the Potomac River Fisheries Commission web site. It gives a very good description of permit requirements on the Potomac. If you are looking for a permit for one trip Potomac only look at the VA 5 or 10 day saltwater. It covers the Potomac from the Wilson bridge all the way down. If you are planning multiple trips and bringing friends (on your boat) look at PRFC Pleasure Boat permit.

7. Banned
    For starters, if you purchase a virginia or maryland non resident license you can fish anywhere up and down the river with the following exception. You cannot fish in washington DC waters unless you purchase a DC license. As a rule of thumb, anywhere above the Woodrow Wilson bridge would be considered DC waters however look at google maps and you will see how the VA, MD and DC boarders come together around the bridge area. Technically, you can still fish above the bridge with either a VA or MD license but you cannot fish in DC waters without DC license. Google maps will show you specifically where the DC boundary comes into play.

8. Member
    Recommend you buy a GMCO Pro Tidal Potomac River map. They are incredibly detailed in every respect and you can order one from GMCO.com, or some tackle shops and WalMart sometimes has them.

Here is a C/P from PRFC web site:

• If you are fishing in the Potomac River:

Below the 301 Bridge - you are required to have one of the following:
      1. Potomac River Fisheries Sport Fishing License, or
      2. Virginia Saltwater Recreational License, or
      3. Maryland Bay (Tidal) Sport Fishing License.

Above the 301 Bridge - you are required to have one of the following:
      1. Potomac River Fisheries Sport Fishing License, or
      2. Virginia Saltwater Recreational License, or
      3. Maryland Bay (Tidal) Sport Fishing License, or
      4. Virginia Statewide Freshwater Fishing License.

Above the Woodrow Wilson Bridge:
      1. You are required to have a District of Columbia Fishing License

End of C/P:

VA fresh water license is only valid from WW bridge to 301 bridge. VA saltwater license is valid from WW bridge as far as want to go down stream. A non-res 10 day VA SW license is $10, but is only valid on the Potomac and other VA tidal rivers. A VA fw/sw combo liscense is also available if you want to fish VA lakes. If you plan on going upstream of the WW get a DC license. Even if you are in the small DC/MD/VA questionable area, you will be at the mercy of the DC judicuary system and that is a fight I would never want. Will also say the info given by HalBrown is excellent! That chart shows all the obstructions and restricted areas.

10. Member
    Thanks guys. Being Kerr and Gaston straddle the NC/VA border my NC license covers both.
    Only time I get a VA license is if I fish Smith Mt, Philpott or the James. Guess I’ll concentrate on the WW bridge to the 301 bridge
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

Howard, that's more water than you will ever dream of exploring or practicing. It takes years and years to accomplish that huge area. One other thing I will point out is that river can get big, real big. Lots of boats have been broke in half from that river. Tide flowing one way and the wind blowing the other way you can get into some seriously dangerous situations. The river is big and has bends, you can be rolling along at high speed with a small chop and all of a sudden the waves are huge, not even from boat wakes. The point is be extra careful on that river.

Good luck
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.