Converting a usr file

I have a memory card that has exported waypoints from a lowrance live unit, it exported as a usr version 6 file and I no longer own the unit. I have helix gen 3 units now. HM PC does not support the file, I’ve read on here where it will only accept version 4 or lower. How would I convert this to a gpx or HWR file that would work in my units or HM PC? Thanks
    Last edited by Tritontrx; 11-16-2019 at 09:22 PM.

2. Member

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    i just downloaded gps Babel and unfortunately it does not support version 6 either, why would lowrance even have versions that can’t be recognized by other brands/software?

4. Member
    Find a buddy with lowrance unit, download your waypoints back to that unit and export as version 3 or 4. Then use humminbird pc to convert. Always hated that about Lowrance.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sthomasIV View Post
    Find a buddy with lowrance unit, download your waypoints back to that unit and export as version 3 or 4. Then use humminbird pc to convert. Always hated that about Lowrance.
    Looks like I’m gonna have to find someone with a live unit because I did try a friends gen2 and it wouldn’t recognize it either. I can prolly find someone but it’s just a little frustrating.

6. Member
    May be somewhere they sell them? BPS or similar.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    May be somewhere they sell them? BPS or similar.
    Once you find a unit to load the data, export to two different memory cards. Do .usr 3-4 on one and GPX on the other.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritontrx View Post
    Looks like I’m gonna have to find someone with a live unit because I did try a friends gen2 and it wouldn’t recognize it either. I can prolly find someone but it’s just a little frustrating.
    A HDS Carbon can also import v6 usr files, so you are not limited to finding a HDS Live unit.

9. Member
    HBPC handles USRv4 best & will convert waypoint icons better.

Exception is Solix unit will convert USRv4 better than HBPC.

10. Member
    I have some programming software that can convert usr ver 6 files. I can convert it for you and send you the gpx file. The software can also convert your symbols very easily so you can maintain all your symbols when switching from any brand to Humminbird. I just did that for someone last week that was switching from Lowrance too. His file was also in usr ver 6 format. It just takes a minute or two. I am out of town til Sunday so I don’t have access to my computer but would be happy to do it for you when I get back.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I have some programming software that can convert usr ver 6 files. I can convert it for you and send you the gpx file. The software can also convert your symbols very easily so you can maintain all your symbols when switching from any brand to Humminbird. I just did that for someone last week that was switching from Lowrance too. His file was also in usr ver 6 format. It just takes a minute or two. I am out of town til Sunday so I don’t have access to my computer but would be happy to do it for you when I get back.
    Mike, do you mind sharing what software you have that allows this conversion?

12. Member
    It’s an xml editing software. It won’t make sense to most people since it is a xml editing software that I created some custom tables within the software. With the custom tables you can go back and forth between all the different brands and back and forth between Helix & Solix units and retaining your symbols, colors, groups, spotlocks, radius and etc. You can make changes to one or several waypoints at one time. I didn’t write the software, just the custom tables, however, if you get the software, I can email the tables and you can copy them to one of the program folders and they become available to use within the software. It sets them up similar to an excel worksheet. If you can work an excel worksheet, then you will be able to edit your waypoints very easily. I can send you all the info if you want. It will take a little explaining but is really easy. It’s second nature to me and takes less time for me to do it than it does to explain it, BUT, I am more than happy to explain it. The software I think is $20-$25 but I will send the tables for free. I’m out of the country right now so I won’t be able to send anything til I get back.

ON THE OTHER HAND:
    If you are just wanting to get a usr ver6 file into gpx format, you can use EasyGPS. It’s free software. Go into the Preferences, add the Lowrance unit that has the ver 6 file, I believe a Carbon unit will work, then import the usr ver 6 file into the software. It won’t open usr files directly so you have to “import” it. Go back into the preferences & add an older unit, something like an HDS unit that uses version 3 or 4, then save the file in gpx format. That file will then open in HumminbirdPC. Some of your symbols may match and some may not depending which symbols you use. That’s where the xml programming software can change anything you want.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    Thanks mike, I’ve know a guy with a live you that would probably let me come over and do it whenever I can catch him at home. If not soon I may take you up on the offer, thanks again!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit53 View Post
    A HDS Carbon can also import v6 usr files, so you are not limited to finding a HDS Live unit.
    Thanks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritontrx View Post
    Thanks mike, I’ve know a guy with a live you that would probably let me come over and do it whenever I can catch him at home. If not soon I may take you up on the offer, thanks again!
    You don’t need an actual unit just to convert from usr ver6. You can use EasyGPS which is a free software. It will import usr ver6. Then you can just save it as a gpx file. The programming software I have will allow you to change Lowrance symbols to match Humminbird symbols.

Sent you a PM
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike