Multi power scopes

Throwing this out there to see what everyone thinks. When sighting in do you go with highest or lowest. Read a few articles and half are one way half are the other.

2. Member

USA

I sight in at the highest setting, and then check it at the setting that I normally shoot at. In the woods 3X, and over a open area 6X or 7X.

3. Member
    Depends on the distance. I want to see the target clearly but don't want the crosshairs blotting out the entire bullseye so I guess I use the lowest setting that allows me to center it on the bullseye.

It shouldn't make much of a difference at close to medium distances but having it on the highest X magnifies every little tremor and flinch which might get in your head after awhile.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Depends on the distance. I want to see the target clearly but don't want the crosshairs blotting out the entire bullseye so I guess I use the lowest setting that allows me to center it on the bullseye.
    This is what I do, I want to make sure exactly where I'm aiming. I want my target to have bars also, to align the recticles with.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Sight in on high power setting. After satisfied with that dial down thru the power range and shoot a few more rounds to compare points of impact. I always sight in at about 2 to 2-1/4" high at 100 yards. This gives me a no hold over sight out to 300 or so with my 7mm-08.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Sight in on high power setting. After satisfied with that dial down thru the power range and shoot a few more rounds to compare points of impact. I always sight in at about 2 to 2-1/4" high at 100 yards. This gives me a no hold over sight out to 300 or so with my 7mm-08.
    Not to hijack the thread but what are you feeding your 7mm-08? It's been awhile but the last time I sighted a 120gr. at those distances I think I had around 7" drop at 300. 2" high at 100 would put me real close to on at 200 and almost 6" low at 300 for 140gr.

Its been a while since I loaded those rounds. Something like 42gr. of IMR 4064 on Hornady 120's and I think 40ish of the same behind Nosler BTBT 140. Not sure of the exact drop at distance but I used to shoot ground hogs and never worry about the drop out to 300.

High power on sight in. It’s hard enough for me to see the bull on 9X or better. 2.5X or 3X would be almost impossible.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    High power on sight in. It’s hard enough for me to see the bull on 9X or better. 2.5X or 3X would be almost impossible.

Choice of targets makes a huge difference. Everyone is a little different in what they prefer.

Yes target sizes would probably have to be changed. I used to draw and print my own targets in square patterns. 1/2 white sq. to start with 1/4 inch black border, then maybe another 1/2 inch white section bordered by another 1/4 inch black border. This gives you target patterns large enough to shoot with multiple powers. I always try to shoot at the smallest target that I can clearly define. I sometime shoot at 1/4 inch colored pushpins with my 6.5 -20 Leupold.

11. Member
    Definitely would like to know the distances y’all are sighting in at. I normally sight mine in at 50 yards on the lowest setting. That way for me, everything is as steady as possible. If zoomed in at the highest setting will look like your moving a lot more than you actually are which will throw you off. It does me anyway

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    Definitely would like to know the distances y’all are sighting in at. I normally sight mine in at 50 yards on the lowest setting. That way for me, everything is as steady as possible. If zoomed in at the highest setting will look like your moving a lot more than you actually are which will throw you off. It does me anyway
    I made the same comment about high magnification above. For some people, it makes them more anxious and that doesn't help your shooting at all. Virtually all of my hunting is within 50 yds unless I take my deer rifle out for coyote hunting at the lake or I visit my buddy with the cornfields. Most of my kill shots are well within 50 yds and my longest deer kill was only 150. So I sight in at 100 with the occasional long range (300-400yd) session every few years to see how the hollowpoints are flying.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    100 yards and sandbags. No rolled up coats on the bench or across the truck hood. I may shoot hundreds of rounds developing several loads for my rifles. If I missed I know for a fact that it was my fault and not the guns.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    100 yards and sandbags. No rolled up coats on the bench or across the truck hood. I may shoot hundreds of rounds developing several loads for my rifles. If I missed I know for a fact that it was my fault and not the guns.
    Same process as me but I always use the lowest setting is the only difference. If something seems off or I some how develop a bad habit I even have a lead sled that I get out from time to time. Other than that, I use a good sturdy table with sand bags

For load development and grouping I would ALWAYS use the highest setting and the smallest target I could clearly define center. Any movement is detectable and therefore no shot would be fired. Bad habits are more easily detected on high power. JMO

16. Member
    4x because that's where I hunt with it at.

1.5-2.0 inches high at 100 yards on every rifle I own..highest setting...never got into the whole high setting low setting stuff people read...I keep my scopes on low when hunting most of the time but if I'm in a shooting house and can run the setting up I will...I'm either at the lowest of the highest...never an in between...as for my target, it's usually the current political sign with one row of duck tape horizontal and 3 rows of duck tape vertical...that gives me 3 bulls eyes and 3 targets to aim at with a built in stand. 4 inch square as a bulls eye. Let's me line up my cross hairs and I can cover the hole with tape...targets last a long time...shoot off a folding camp table and lead sled..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

18. Member
    Some really cheap scopes can change point of impact when you zoom in or out. I've seen that once or twice over the years on some really cheap ones like BSA for instance. A decent scope will not do that. I always sight in on high power and at 100 yards. Most of my shots are 75-125 yards due to terrain and vegetation.