Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water Pressure Gauge tube

For those of you that live in the northern part of our country what do you do to prevent your water pressure gauge from freezing and bursting?

2. Member
    pull the hose off the back of the gauge after you're done winterizing and you'll be good. Just don't forget to put it back in the spring or you'll have a lap full of water.

3. Member
    When I had the second gauge replaced I had the guys put a T in the line, the one that hangs down has a cap that I remove for winter storage.

4. Member
    The only sure fire way to keep the gauge from freezing is to remove it and take it inside or keep some heat on it. Eventually the bellows in the gauge fills with water and there’s no good way to drain it,it won’t drain just by removing the hose.

5. Member
    If it isn't drained or removed will it freeze and split. I think I'm about to learn a lesson my first winter season with my Nitro Z20. I thought I had reviewed everything I need to do, not sure how I overlooked this one.

That being said if it does split is it just a PIA to replace in the spring. It sits covered in a pole barn (Michigan) so fingers crossed.

6. Member
    Have to disagree, since putting in the T and uncapping the line the water that's in there drains out, haven't had a problem since, and it get's down to single digits here.

7. Member
    Get a piece of 1/8” tubing like the gauge uses,fill it with water and hold your finger over one end and see if the water will drain out,same thing with the gauge. If the water has not made it to the gauge yet then draining with a tee will work. Unfortunately I’ve frozen several gauges here and every one had water inside of the bellows.Now I keep a small electric heater under the console if it’s going to be real cold.

8. Member
    All I can say is the T has worked the last 8 winters for me.

9. Member
    Oh I don’t doubt it. As I said, if the bellows isn’t flooded,the tee does work.

10. Member
    This is
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    When I had the second gauge replaced I had the guys put a T in the line, the one that hangs down has a cap that I remove for winter storage.
    This is what I was hoping for when made the post, what kind of tee did you use and where did you get it?

11. Member

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I install a drain...

About 2-3" behind the gauge I cut the line and install a "T". Then I add a hose to the bottom of the T. If my memory is correct 1/4". I make sure it is long enough that I can easily reach it by simply reaching under the console. I route the tube so there is no bends or turns that would restrict draining the water. I zip tie it to existing wires that are under my console but yet it still hangs lose where I can easily access it. On the end of the drain hose I install a plug.

When I am done fishing for the day and it's cold weather I pull the plug from the tube. There will only be a small amount of water in the drain tube. Mabey a teaspoon at most. I just let it drain onto the floor. As you drive down the road on the way home any water from the gauge to the T drain will empty. When I get home I install my plug back into my drain...if for some reason you forget to put the plug back in you will know real fast when you start your motor because it will piss a stream all over your feet I keep a spare plug just in case I ever lose the one I normally use. The hardware I use is compression fittings for air lines. I done this 10 or so years ago and have yet to have a WP gauge freeze.
    Last edited by JR19; 11-17-2019 at 07:03 PM.

13. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    just Use my graphs for speed. Speedo isn’t extremely accurate and mines been plugged with wood for two years haha

14. Member
    Well I am confused as heck. I didn't think water was supposed to go up the line to the gauge unless it had a air leak. I thought That the water only put pressure on the air in the line to move the gauge. In 30 years never had one to break.?

15. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Well I am confused as heck. I didn't think water was supposed to go up the line to the gauge unless it had a air leak. I thought That the water only put pressure on the air in the line to move the gauge. In 30 years never had one to break.?
    I have read there is not suppose to be anything in the line but air. I have also read its normal to have water in the line. I have no idea which statement is true. All I do know is I went several years and done nothing, then 2 winters in a row my gauge froze. Since I installed a drain I have had zero issues. When I open the drain there is a few drops of water that comes out.

I put an aquarium t valve with a removable cap in my line and I've never had an issue. Just have to remember to put the cap back on before I take it out in the spring, otherwise it will piss all over my leg!
    2003 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2003 Evinrude 225HO

17. Member
    Mine froze and burst the gauge 2 years ago, now with a new to me boat I am looking to prevent rather than repair.

Putting a "T" in the water pressure gauge line won't drain out the water, unless you decide to suck it out yourself! But, it should give the water plenty of room to expand when it freezes, which should prevent damage to the gauge. Without the "T", the water in the gauge can not go anywhere and will freeze, busting the gizmo inside.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have installed a T in my line after having to replace 2 gauges , which I hung a piece of hose from that hangs down and is easy to reach it has a stopper on the end when I get home or pull the bat from the water I pull the stopper and put the hose in a small bottle to catch the water .I've been doing this for about 5 years now I fish till the ice comes and have never had a problem water drains right into the bottle and it gets real cold here for dyas at a times if not weeks . So it does work
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

20. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I use my boat year round and have just settled to know mine will freeze and no longer work. I have a smart craft and just use that to monitor my water pressure.

Dale Sinclair original

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast