Anyone have experience with dental veneers ?

I think my stupid days of biting fishing line as a kid and even some as an adult have come back to haunt me. My front teeth are chipped / cracked and just look crappy.

Anyone get veneers and if so what do you think about them. I know there are a couple different types so curious if you have thoughts on the different options. Also curious as to price if someone has experience.

I guess my other option are those cap things where they grind your teeth into a point and basically glue on a cover. I dont really like that idea as you are only left with nubs from your original teeth.

2. Member
    I have veneers on my front two teeth. It's been about six months and it definitely feels like something is on my teeth. Make sure your dentist gets a good mold of your teeth and the color matches up.

3. Member
    I’ve had veneers for eight years. I have the top front six done. Make sure he gets a good mold and color match’s as hobybaker said. They are a thousand each. Best money I’ve spent after having bad teeth.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Generator View Post
    I’ve had veneers for eight years. I have the top front six done. Make sure he gets a good mold and color match’s as hobybaker said. They are a thousand each. Best money I’ve spent after having bad teeth.
    Ohhhh god that price hurts.

Do you have the porcelain or composite type ?

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Ohhhh god that price hurts.

Do you have the porcelain or composite type ?
    I love those commercials where they tell you your out in one day with a brand new smile...the don’t mention the part about 20k to get it done.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    I love those commercials where they tell you your out in one day with a brand new smile...the don’t mention the part about 20k to get it done.
    Well I dont think they are quite 20k but theysure arent cheap. I can see why I was reading about people going to Mexico for dental work.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Well I dont think they are quite 20k but theysure arent cheap. I can see why I was reading about people going to Mexico for dental work.
    Yeah..I’m probably exaggerating a little and the veneers are cheaper...but dental implants can run 1500 a tooth..doesn’t take long to get the price way up there.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Yeah..I’m probably exaggerating a little and the veneers are cheaper...but dental implants can run 1500 a tooth..doesn’t take long to get the price way up there.
    Ohhh heck ive read where implants are even higher than 1500. I guess like everything it depends on how many you need and whos doing it.

Either way its gonna cost.

9. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Dentist can charge any price they want because nobody compares prices or changes dentist.. Springfield Missouri is Known for cheap dental Work >They have a Bunch of big operations for the retire people living in the are or people visiting the area/. If you can save $1000's of Dollars it would be worth the ride or even a 1 day plane trip. I am sure you can forward your X-Rays for evaluations or cost. Sometimes you have to spend the time calling and asking details to get a true value of the job and a educated choice of Dentists. The same goes for house repairs > How many homeowners get 2 or 3 estimates with a detailed list of materials and work. --> NOT Many.

10. Banned
    My implants ran me $1900 per. Thank god I only needed 2. I might go the veneer route if my other teeth get bad.

BTW, getting implants SUCKS.

11. Member
    If your incisal edges are chipped from parafunctional habits or bc of how your bite fits together you are probably much better off going the porcelain crown (cap) route than veeners.. veeners done on someone with the wrong bite are a night mare and can fracture or pop off often. Veeners and crowns cost pretty much the same thing. Crowns will out last veeners without doubt. Just don’t allow the dentist to cement the crowns/veeners until you have looked at them in the mirror bc it’s easy to send them back to the dental lab for adjustments most dentist just don’t take the time to
    do that for their patients

Quote Originally Posted by mcrane35 View Post
    If your incisal edges are chipped from parafunctional habits or bc of how your bite fits together you are probably much better off going the porcelain crown (cap) route than veeners.. veeners done on someone with the wrong bite are a night mare and can fracture or pop off often. Veeners and crowns cost pretty much the same thing. Crowns will out last veeners without doubt. Just don’t allow the dentist to cement the crowns/veeners until you have looked at them in the mirror bc it’s easy to send them back to the dental lab for adjustments most dentist just don’t take the time to
    X2. I broke my tooth with a flat bar to the face and my dentist said due to my cross bite I had to get a crown. Not a very fun procedure but I'm happy with it now. I went in the day after the accident and they grinded it down and made a template. I got a little plastic temporary and went a week later for the real one. My bite took a couple of weeks to adjust. It felt huge at first but now I don't notice it. It was $1200 and my dental covered 50%

And with implants, I'm missing two incisors and talked to her about fixing everything. Between braces and two implants im looking at $15k-20k.

13. Member
    15-20K for 2 teeth ? Heck ive read like 30k for all new teeth.

14. Member
    The thing that freaks me out with the crowns is they basically grind your original teeth down to a nub.. At least with veneers most is retained and can be repaired if it pops off. Or I think thats the case.

Im no dentist just my random thoughts and could be totally wrong. I just picture me breaking off a nub and then be told tough luck.

15. Member
    I was just quoted $6600 for top eight and am thinking about it. They did the before and after and I was humiliated to say the least. There goes my lawn cutting money for next 2 years. Dentist mentioned color quite a few times also so I will be mindful of that.

16. Member
    They grind them down on crowns but if done properly the tooth can be crowned again if need be. The hard part is finding a dentist that does good work. Plenty of bad ones out there like in all professions

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven H View Post
    I was just quoted $6600 for top eight and am thinking about it. They did the before and after and I was humiliated to say the least. There goes my lawn cutting money for next 2 years. Dentist mentioned color quite a few times also so I will be mindful of that.
    Was that Veneers or crowns ? 6600 for 8 of either doesnt sound bad considering what ive heard / read

18. Member
    They grind them down on crowns but if done properly the tooth can be crowned again if need be. The hard part is finding a dentist that does good work. Plenty of bad ones out there like in all professions
    And thats why I think they can charge so much. You look around for the best price and someone says "well do you really want the cheapest bidder grinding on your teeth". Makes you say to yourself hummmmm maybe I do need the guy who charges 2k more.

Ughhh I hate anything medical