Red River Manitoba ice report

IMG_0130.JPGIMG_0131.JPGIMG_0132.JPGIMG_0133.JPG

These pictures are from today, with high water levels and cooler temperatures we are going to have big issue this winter for ice fishing on the Red River in Manitoba.
    Ice has been flowing down the river all week in chunks and now has backed up over twenty five miles and still continuing. There are ridges forming on the river up to a least eight feet high and no telling how deep the ice below the water level. Also the water level is still way above the winter level and if the level does drop to where it should be below the Lockport Dam it will certainly create unstable ice conditions.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

2. Member
    Yikes that dont look good... That looks more like springtime ice jams.

In all my years have never seen ice backed up this far south or even having to use the floodway in October to help lower the Red coming through the city.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

Wow, that's incredible. And doesn't look good. Even in my area, the Corps is still trying to get our reservoirs down to pool. Still 10 feet above

5. Member
    Wow! Makes me cold just looking at that!

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    Wow, that's incredible. And doesn't look good. Even in my area, the Corps is still trying to get our reservoirs down to pool. Still 10 feet above
    where I live is about 15 miles from water that hits the red, our two larger reservoirs are both high and we are dumping water as fast as we can without flooding the rivers to bad, one lake is 20+' over pool and the other is 10+' both have been closed to winter time recreation as they are going to keep drawing water under the ice causing a bowl and dangerous ice.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    where I live is about 15 miles from water that hits the red, our two larger reservoirs are both high and we are dumping water as fast as we can without flooding the rivers to bad, one lake is 20+' over pool and the other is 10+' both have been closed to winter time recreation as they are going to keep drawing water under the ice causing a bowl and dangerous ice.
    It's been a crazy flooding year from you guys up north all the way to Oklahoma and Arkansas. I haven't had my boat on my home lake since last fall as it's been 17-20+ feet high all year.
    We're hopeful they will get it down to pool over the next month before it freezes. Don't need dangerous ice. That is, IF it gets cold enough down here to make safe ice.

Not Good To Hear. Two weeks ago the Red had dropped over four feet in the city but with the ice jamming up it has risen back three of those feet and still rising. During that time though they had closed of the gates to the floodway that diverts the water around the city of Winnipeg. Though we have had cold weather with the flow we haven't got solid ice but packed ice which is continuing to compress and move and form pressure ridges many feet thick and high as well.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250